How to lock a bi-folding bathroom door?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by lensman, Feb 9, 2009.

1. lensman

lensman New Member

I've got a small bathroom with an awkward layout. I'd like to replace the normal door with a bi-folding door to make access easier, however a standard bolt or lock will just pull out if you pull/push the door in the middle.

Does anyone know what sort of lock will work here? I don't want to fit a simple hook+eye as (apart from being ugly) the door should be openable from the outside in an emergency.

Any ideas or recommended products?

2. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

3. !!

!! Active Member

sliding bolt in the middle of the door works

4. catman0210

catman0210 New Member

You could just put a fancy bolt into the top frame?

5. lensman

lensman New Member

Thanks for the ideas guys (though to anyone else reading, more ideas welcome!)

## http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=64375

I'll investigate the espagnollete - it might be a bit impractical though as the bar would have to be about 7' long to reach top+bottom.

## sliding bolt in the middle of the door works

I can see how this would work if the moving end of the door was on a track. I suspect it would need a long bolt with a lot of travel to work well - I'll see if there's anything available that isn't too ugly.

## You could just put a fancy bolt into the top frame?

OK for me, but nobody (e.g. kids) under 5' would be able to work it.

6. ­

­ New Member

We always use these, meant for sliding sashes.

7. xman

xman New Member

how about this?www.uniononline.co.uk/Uploads/range02/2426.pdf

8. GSJ87

GSJ87 New Member

This is exactly what I am looking for but I can't find the name of it, or where to get it from. Can anyone help?
    [​IMG]

9. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

10. GSJ87

GSJ87 New Member

Many thanks for your reply. I'm in the same predicament regarding the bathroom bi fold door, its letting too much draught in, so I was thinking of using that fastener and then getting a draught excluder and screwing it in vertically.. would that not work?

The claw bolt lock you stated, that would clip the door in would it? How would I get it open again, thumb turn? Not familiar with that..

11. R.W_Carpentry

A thumb turn is this http://www.screwfix.com/p/carlisle-brass-wc-turn-release-chrome-plated-51-5mm/62814 , it operates the bolt the same as any other mortice lock, the difference is the claw bolt actively hooks into the keeper plate on the frame stopping the bolt from sliding out as would happen with a normal bolt.

Are you looking for something you can use to keep the door latched shut that's operational from both sides?

12. GSJ87

GSJ87 New Member

Ideally, I would like to yes, but this seems a much dearer solution to than just getting a sash fastener stuck onto the outside. The door inside already has a verticle lock that slots into the door frame, preventing it from opening. Its a much messier approach but getting the door lock you stated installed will be a task and a half itself i'm guessing.. ?

13. R.W_Carpentry

If you're just looking for something to use from the outside to keep it shut then yes you may as we'll just put a sash fastner on, I'd use the claw lock as the standard lock on a bathroom sliding / bifold door but for your needs then the sash fastner will be easier and cheaper to fit overall.

The claw lock is installed the same as a standard bathroom mortice lock, not incredibly difficult to do, a 16mm flat bit or auger and a chisel would be all you need , however as you can see , thumb turns are designed to operate the lock from the inside and you then have a plate on the other which can be turned with a coin or flat screw driver etc in case a child gets locked in or something , so if you wanted to be able to operate the lock from both sides you'd need to buy two sets of thumb turns so you could have a working turn on both sides.

14. GSJ87

GSJ87 New Member

I love the idea of the claw lock, it'd be much cleaner but you're right, for locking outside the sash fastener is great, thanks for your help. Much appreciated!