Fencing repair spur size?

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by SteveMJ, Dec 27, 2013.

1. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

Hi and hoping you all had a good Christmas.

In the recent strong wind I lost 3 fence panels and at least 3 posts broken at ground level. One more, at least is probably stressed - so will reinforce that.

I intend to repair using concrete repair spurs but unsure of the size needed. The fence is 6 foot high and the posts wooden 4" x 4".

I can easily source 75 mm x 100 mm x 1.2 m from local DIY shed or order 100 mm x 100mm x 1.35 m from builders merchants. I am biased towards the larger size (a bit lower cost too), but maybe be going over the top as well as having to wait for them to arrive.

Also, to fix in place I propose to use cement, ballast and sand mix plus any broken up bits of what may may be at the bottom of the exisitng post stumps; putting ~400 mm into the ground. I will allow this to set befor using long coach screws through the spurs into the posts. does this sound a good approach?

Many thanks for the help,

Steve

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

if these are new posts then 400mm deep isn't enough, for a effective hight of 6' you need at least twice that depth - as you are increasing the strength of the posts, the next gale will likely see the posts survive but the fence panels (if they survive) will act to lever the 400mm deep ball of mix out of the ground

if you are attaching to some existing how deep are the broken roots ? - strengthening one component just exposes the next weakness

FatHands likes this.
  3. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

So, about 800 mm deep, then the spur needs to long to allow attachment of the post...?

4. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

I don't quite follow the gist of that comment - what do you have still in the ground, how deep are these stumps and how much of a foundation do you have around it - and what are the stumps made of ?

Fence suppliers love seeing their customers not quite doing the job correctly, as they know they''ll be meeting them again shortly after the next big wind - if you set a fence properly it'll never blow away again.

5. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

Sorry for lack of clarity.
    Sean you said "...if these are new posts then 400mm deep isn't enough, for a effective hight of 6' you need at least twice that depth..". I was asking about concrete repair spurs, are you suggesting that it may be better to just replace with new posts? Hmm, maybe that would be better?

So twice 400 mm is 800 mm (I'm assuming you are not suggesting 6' x 2!). If the spur was only 800mm long (B&Q's only offering and not considered above in my first post) there would be nothing above ground to attach a post to. If the shorter 1.2 m one was fitted then (1.2m - 800 mm) 400 mm would protrude above ground and if the 1.35 m post used then (1.35m - 800 mm) 550 mm would protrude above ground. This implies, to me, that a longer spur is need to provide enough height above ground to attach the post.

I've not inspected the existing stumps; everything is covered by mud, ivy, bits of old hedge cutting etc. I was intending to get out today and start clearing away to get a better idea of what is left, but wind & rain plus the fact that builder's merchants are shut for a good few more days meant I've left it.

I am seeking advice in how to "set a fence properly" :)

Thanks, Steve

6. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

don't buy anything yet, dig out one of the stumps and see what you've got

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If the posts are broken at ground level(which they are) he will have nothing of any use in the ground

8. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

Yesterday I spent a while clearing away all the plants (mainly ivy that was covering everything and laid down a mat of roots into leaf litter about 2" to 4" thick, as well as trimming back parts of a beech hedge that would be pushing up against the repaired fence panels. After that I could find out where the old posts were fitted. The original concrete was below the current ground level and I suspect that led to premature rotting of the post (fence has been in place about 16 years and almost certainly fitted by 'proffesional fecncing company'! 16 years does not seem long to me).

Today, for two posts, I dug down to fit spurs adjacent to the old post position. The spur was to be offset to allow for the old concrete. In doing this, I split the old concrete and have now removed at least one side of the old post concrete support to leave C-shaped vertical channels. I can fit an old post into this with at least 330 mm embedded below the top of the concrete. I may move the post over by a small amount 50 mm, to allow for more concrete to support one side of the posts.

I still have one more hole to prepare, I haven't even seen the concrete for that yet as its below the soil level.

I'll be buying at least three 100mm x 100 mm x 2.4 m posts when the builders merchants open on 2nd Jan - the forecast is wind and rain here for the next few days, so it can wait IMO.

Unfortunatly, as part of the ground clearing and beech hedge trimming I can see that the posts for the next set of panels along don't look too good either and a quick wiggle indicates others don't look very steady either. So I may be doing a lot more digging and repairs in the New Year.

Thats all for now.

Steve

9. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If your fence has blown over completely, then replace the whole post with posts of the same size, IE: 4"x 4" x 8', setting them into the ground so you have about an 1" of post above the panel.

For posts that are loose fit the concrete spurs set into the ground @ 2' and bolt with either, coach bolts drilled right through the post, or coach screws, screwed into the post, it depends on how good the wood is on the post where the fixing are going as to which method you choose.

10. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

Fitted the posts and concreted them in, been doing that in between downpours and having a miserable rotten cold.

I'm now fitting the panels (before its starts raining again) and the first one is out of square. I'll ask a seperate question about that.

Steve

11. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Do you mean the panel is out of square, if so just tap it on the ground on a corner oppersite to how it's out of square.

12. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Steve I don't know how far you have got with your fence but when I am replacing rotten posts, if I can I will start with a half panel so as to avoid the old concrete

13. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

I've moved and re-asked the follow on a seperate question.

Steve

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  14. vic jeffrey

vic jeffrey New Member

Hello am new to this
    I have a pair of 9 feet tall heavy wooden gates each about 4 foot wide totalling 8 feet
    they are supported by 4 inch square square wooden posts 7 ft tall above ground
    3 foot deep buried, they are moving now in the winds.
    would a pair of 1200m concrete repair spurs hold these, and if so how deep would i need to dig these in
    thankyou

15. chillimonster

chillimonster Screwfix Select

I always put 4 foot spurs half in half out.
    The last field gate I fitted I used 175cm x 175cm posts.
    Your gates sound a lot heavier.

16. vic jeffrey

vic jeffrey New Member

they are heavy , i was hoping i could get 6 foot spurs and use 10 inch coach bolts

17. chillimonster

If a customer somehow got a 6 foot spur I would take the job on but e-mailing there
    is no guarantee it will work. It's worth trying before digging out two posts set in
    concrete plus the fun of re-hanging heavy double gates ( been there ).
    If you do reply...what's happening to the soil / concrete at the foot of these posts.
    Is there an ever growing gap, was concrete ever used.

18. vic jeffrey

vic jeffrey New Member

Hello it is in a concrete yard, put these in ourselves about 10 years ago.
    I am old fashioned, they are in deep, but realistically, the wind has had a go at them.
    couple of my mates have told me spurs, but they have bought light weight panel fences, mine are feather edge.
    I looked at spurs and they are 4 ft, and dont feel they are man enough, that is why I posted here
    the soil and concrete overspill, will be used as ballast for damage in concrete
    and the soil is clay, yes they were concreted in.

19. vic jeffrey

vic jeffrey New Member

sorry steve if i have wrecked your thread, i did not realise

20. chillimonster

don't worry Vic, he's had time to get over it.
    As you say, the wind has done for them.
    Angle grinder to cut your hole around the existing 4 foots
    then buy / hire a concrete breaker. ( I've taken out concrete
    and wooden posts out of concrete yard surfaces with
    hammer and bar, not good. )
    Sometimes , breaking into concrete can make a bigger hole
    than expected. I would think about using bags of
    ballast or make your own concrete rather than postcrete.
    My opinion.

ramseyman likes this.