Good Quality Crimps

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by pcspike, Jan 4, 2014.

1. pcspike

pcspike Member

Can anyone recommend a good brand of insulated crimps for butt jointing (that doesn’t come apart). I’ve read that SWA crimps are good but unable to find a supplier online that sells relatively small quantities.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

CPC sell good quality crimps (AMP) in small quantities - but if you are able to pull the wire out afterwards it may well be the tool that's not doing it's job

3. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Or the tool doing the job :p (only kidding).

4. pcspike

pcspike Member

Thanks Sean,

I should have said that it is not my experience that they have come apart it is what I have read and I’m wanting to avoid getting the same results by asking those who have had experience using quality ones such as yourself. The ratchet CK pliers that I’m getting should be up to the job.

Had a quick look on CPC at ‘amps crimps’ but couldn’t see what I wanted there. I need the blue for 2.5mm two core and earth.

5. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

6. pcspike

pcspike Member

7. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

these ?

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/st...ssellid=CN11407&crosssell=true&in_merch=true&

8. pcspike

pcspike Member

9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

10. pcspike

pcspike Member

11. pcspike

pcspike Member

JP.

I’m going to have to extend the wiring to a few of my kitchen sockets when I fit my new kitchen because we have decided to go for splashback panel rather than tiling. The panelling is quite thick and the wiring to some of the sockets are not going to reach. Would solder and heatshrink be legal in this case?

12. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Yes but you'll need 2 layers of heat shrink if the joints won't be whithin an enclosure.

13. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Concur Sen - maybe also wrap the whole lot with gaffer tape (neatly and tight) to finish off? Sort of overlap onto the cable sheath when binding if possible? If not then wrap with insulating tape and cable tie the wrap both ends to prevent ''unfurling''

14. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I don't know of anyone who would even contemplate soldered joints. Crimps and Wagos are by far the best way to go.

15. pcspike

pcspike Member

Would you use butt crimps or parallel splice in this case?

16. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I think generally, yes, I use butt splice which is a straight end-to-end in-line splice.

Regards

17. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Not exactly ideal day in day out....

18. mr reflex

mr reflex Member

Always tend to think solder and heat shrink are more for auto electrics.

19. pcspike

pcspike Member

Many thanks for that. As it happens I also ordered some Wagos last week too just to experiment with, they seem an ideal option but I wonder about the amount of space they will take up where a lot of wires are involved but at the price that they are they are worth a try.

Regards Spike

20. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select