IPx7 downlighter in a shower

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by yorkyguy, Feb 5, 2014.

1. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

Hello,

I'm (still) working on the bathroom upgrade - waiting for the shower tray compo to 'go off' before I let the pet rhino loose on the plumbing. I have a trade pack of 10x Screwfix GU10 downlighters from LAP. The bathroom is 2.5mtrs high so am I right in that I can use these in the ceiling provided that they are outside all the zones - 2.25 is the limit according to the web. However I need a downlighter IN the shower cubicle - i.e. Zone 0 which is an acceptable match for the brushed chrome finish of the LAP trade pack. Can any one help with any advice on the regs and a suitable fitting?

Ta

Bri

2. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Hi.
    All new lamps in the bathroom will need to be suitable IP rating and protected by RCD. If you find any matching Zone0 lamps can you post back with a link?

3. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

zone 0 is within the bath or the shower tray - items that can hold and retain water - above that is zone 1

are you sure you really need submerged fitting ?

4. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

Thanks Sean,
    Sorry for the confusion - no its not submerged but within the shower cubicle - 2.3mts above the base of the shower tray - so is this technically outside any zone?

5. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

only just - very sensibly there used to be a zone 2 area above the designated zone 1 - it would be all to easy to point a shower head upwards

SELV lighting is the route to take

6. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

what is SELV lighting?

7. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

8. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

thanks again,

Can I dispense with the 240v idea and use the existing GU10 fittings but replace the mains bulbs with 12 units and a transformer? This sounds inherently much safer!

9. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

yes but but ......

you might find some LED types are too large to fit, and you have to be wary of heat dissipation and then there's selection of the correct transformer

10. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

It looks as though I can replace the GU10s with MR16s and change the tail because of the different 2 pin fitting and install a 12v transformer - six lights max. Are GU10s same size to fit in the recess?

Ta

11. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

6x5=30 watt max

12. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

I'd be buying some fittings designed for the intended use rather than mixing and matching

13. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

JCC 94175's LED 7's all the way. . . .