No key for upvc door

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Pagloss, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Pagloss

Pagloss Member

Hi i've got a upvc front door which is in the locked position and we have no key.

A friend suggested I try to drill the barrel of the lock out, first with a pilot hole followed by a 10 to 12mm hole using HSS bits. When I tried the pilot drill bit just snapped and the larger bit will make absolutely no impression at all.

Would appreciate any suggestions for getting this door unlocked and opened without causing damage to the door and frame itself.

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If it's locked with the five point locking system, drilling out the barrel is the only way I know of to open it without damage.

3. Pagloss

Pagloss Member

Cheers Phil, any suggestions on type/make of drill bit? I got standard HSS bits from B&Q but the wont touch it

4. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

Why don't you remove the handle and snap the barrel?

5. Phil the Paver

How do you do that then without damaging the door.

6. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Because, if you read the original post carefully, you'll realise the door is locked. I'm assuming that it's locked shut, as it wouldn't be much of a door if it were locked open. ;);)

7. Phil the Paver

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

It's not always possible, but with some doors you can remove the hinges, pull the door out, back and down to at least get more access to the lock and screw. Some locks can then have the screw undone a bit, then belted with a hammer, to snap the lock.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I'm not even sure that you need a cobalt drill unless it's a high security lock...If it is, then you're fooked. I would try decent Dormer or similar (not B&Q or Chinese rubbish) and use a lubricant such as Supacut or Rocol. Good luck.

10. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

PTP. Why would snapping the barrel damage the door? JJ1, How does the door being locked make any difference to removing the handle and snapping the barrel...I'm assuming you can get into the property through another door?

11. Phil the Paver

I'm really intrigued now, please explane how you would do it.

12. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

Explain how snapping the barrel will damage the door

13. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

All Euro style barrels are easily snapped, anti snapping barrels still snap but keep the cam in place so as not to allow access to the locking mechanism, which again is easily turned with a screwdriver or similar, snapping barrels from outside with the handle on providing the correct length of barrel has been fitted is difficult, from the inside with the handle removed gives you enough of the barrel to strike it from the top snapping it in half allowing access to the locking mechanism, turn it and the door opens. Remove plates and barrel screw and replace with a new barrel, replace handle...most upvc fitters use this method if there are no keys for the door, again not so easy from the outside. Drilling the barrel requires it to be completely removed.

MonkeyTrousers likes this.
  14. Phil the Paver

The force need to snap the barrel will undoubtedly damage the locking mechanism, the plastic of the door around the barrel and I'm still intrigued as to how snapping the barrel opens the door, your turn. :)

15. Phil the Paver

Ok your post appeared while I was typing, if it's that easy I'd be shocked but if it works then so be it.

16. Biffo

Biffo Member

snap the barrel then turn the locking mech easy peasy !! it wont damage the lock mech . personally id pick it

17. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

I know, when a guy showed me a few years ago just how easy it was to open a Euro style lock, I stopped fitting them and went back to the 5 lever, no choice on Upvc I know but as it stands I only have 1 set of French doors and I have sash jammers fitted. I think I'm right in saying that most of the Euros are not insurance rated.

Cheers
    B J

18. Biffo

Biffo Member

i always fit Avocet ABS euros to my doors nightmare to pick ,and they snap before the cam . there is a way of bypassing them but not to be posted on here

19. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

Get one of the neighbours to phone the police and tell them your selling drugs... The door will soon be open ;-)

Cheburashka likes this.
  20. Hopefully the part that BLUEJACKET mentioned about snapping of the barrel will work from the INSIDE (where more barrel is exposed) should give some reassurance of security... :)