Wagos In Wago Box - Can They Be Classified As Maintenance Free?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by JP., Feb 19, 2014.

1. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Afternoon ladies and gentlemen..:)

Basically if I join cables together and use Wago's in a Wagobox - can this joint be classed as maintenance free? Thanks guys.

2. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

That's the idea.....

3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thanks Lec. Normally I would heatshrink and solder, but I want to modernise my approach tbqh.

So would you be happy with Wago's in a Wagobox? - Crimps are out of the question and this seems the best way. Cheers Lec.

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I'd be happy with Wago's in an enclosure of some sort JP, not necessarily a Wagobox.

FatHands likes this.
  5. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I think they need the strain relief things on em to be maint free though? So possibly it does have to be a wago box or equiv no?

6. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Choc-boxes have flex-grips too! Or normal back-boxes with a blanking plate on top can be used as long as the cables are clipped where they exit the boxes just like normal JB's.

7. Plum Duff

Plum Duff New Member

If JP ask's an inane question in a forest where no one can hear, is it still an inane question?

8. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Ashley J803 or 804. Maintfree, cord crips, push in. 20a or 30a.

[​IMG]

PaulBlackpool and FatHands like this.
  9. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Is it marked "MF" as is required by the Regulations?

10. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

JP,
    It's not quite as simple as some think.
    Altho you are ok with wago in wago as they now comply with BS EN 60670-22.
    - Suitable for use in ‘inaccessible’ areas.
    And more specifically to BS 5733, with an MF mark plus the CE mark.
    But even with the Wago solution, one has to be careful about suitable derating as per manufacturers specification.
    I do not consider your comment 'inane' and look forward to further and better illuminating technical details regarding this issue from Plum Duff ?
    RS

11. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Thanks very much Lectrician for that information. It might be just what I need and they are very reasonably priced IMO.
    Paul

12. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thanks Sen, Lec and everyone.

Just used Wago's for the first time and I am well impressed - excellent product - no more heat shrink and solder. Thanks guys.

Cheburashka likes this.
  13. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

14. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Morning DIY. Whilst perusing the Wago website I did not see any mention of Wago inline connectors in a bullet style - would be an ideal connector in some situations and can see what you mean. Saying that the two port yellow could be used if you form a radius on the cores so they sweep in and out, but a little more room would be required for this technique.

15. wally

wally Screwfix Select

I think I've got some of those in 1 end out the other end but not going out to look for them tonight, maybe post a pic tomorrow if I remember (don't think they are wago, might be ideal not sure)

16. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

Wago, do lighting connectors that are inline.

17. wally

wally Screwfix Select

There you are JP, think thats what your on about, Ideal splice line

P1000509.jpg

Cheburashka likes this.
  18. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thanks very much Wally. Will check those out m8 as in some situations it seems they could be very handy indeed. Have a good one Wal.