any builders that can give me advice ? damp proof sectional garage ?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by frankieBateman, Feb 19, 2014.

1. frankieBateman

frankieBateman New Member

I was looking for some advice and help really. I'm looking at doing an extension on my house at the back going off the garage. Basically I'm on a really tight budget and need to save money where i can i already have the garage converted into a gym and have put damp proof membrane on the walls and floors underneath the batons Ive used on the wall Ive got some damp coming through on one corner and was wondering is there anyway to apply a damp course onto a sectional garage ? Also another question when i build the extension I'm looking at building level with the garage wall and building over the garage would i need to tie it into the garage if so how ?

Thanks in advance

Attached an image of the extension i plan on doing onto the garage so you get the general idea of what i mean.

Attached Files:

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

All of this should be on the plans, I very much doubt you be allowed to build around the garage using it as part of the extension.

3. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

At the end of the last war the government provided hundreds of short-term prefabricated buildings for people who had experienced bomb damage to their own homes. The problem is that was in the 1940's and this is the 2010's. You want to recreate this. I realise your budget is tight but I think you might be storing up a lot of strife for yourself.

You say that you have some damp coming through in one corner. Is this because of a physical breach or is it condensation?

I would say the major consideration is that the precast structure relies upon mechanical components for their structural stability and they can fail. Traditionally in the UK we build from masonry and this does make us dismissive of other building traditions.

Tying the structure into a pre-existing domestic structure may be difficult.

A word of warning. If you intend to use this building for domestic residential purposes then be careful. It's one thing having a precast garage for a site office but quite another using one for living accomodation. There are very tight guidelines on what and what is not permissible.

4. frankieBateman

Thanks for the advice i think the best thing would to be is to probably knock the garage down and just build the extension there instead of the garage. SO that brings to this, the garage obviously has a 8cm concrete base and it seems to be sat on some sort of wood ( got a screw driver in there ) would i have to break it all away and restart ? because obviously usually you MOT, Sand, damp course insulate and concrete right ? it wouldn't add to much onto my original price i think and cant see panning being a problem seeing as the garage was build when the house was built if you get me ? the extension hopefully falls under the '' permitted development '' section fingers crossed.

5. Phil the Paver

The garage base will have to come up and a whole new foundation laid for the extension, you need to submit your drawn plan for outline planning permission, but will need a full set of drawing to comply with building regulations, these drawing will include proposed foundation, wall structure and roof structure at the very least.

6. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

Yep, you'd have to break that up.

7. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

how much do you have to spend ?

8. frankieBateman

RIght iv got a lot of plans already drawn up into proper measurements ive worked out the extension ive uploaded a pic of on my first post the price is around 7k with flat fiberglass roof.but have about 10k to spend so i think i could fit that little garage part in. has anyone got any drawings of what i chould submit to planning and bulding regs ?

9. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

so the extension is 29' x 20' ? - is it safe to assume you will be building this yourself ?

sketchup will do fine for your outline planning application - showing the dimensioned outline, but you'll have to produce detailed drawings for the building warrant (in Scotland) or full permission - showing building fabric and construction type - unless you find someone who has built exactly the same extension you won't be able to use pre-existing drawings for the warrant/full permission - an architectural technician would be able to produce all of the drawings required for such a simple building for around £500

please don't put a FG roof on it

10. Phil the Paver

Also convert your measurements into metric using just millimetres, this will help the planning department. In building, imperial measurements haven't been used since the 70s.:)

11. Aaron Clifford

Aaron Clifford New Member

why don't put FG roof on it? could you explain?

12. frankieBateman

yes i will be bulding it, i do property services by trade so cover the whole thing there fore saving a hell of a lot of money :) just was unsure on the last two questions. FB roof seems the right thing for what i want to do might struggle getting planning with a pitched roof seeing as it stretches the back garden and neighbors are a pain in the ****. Ive done all the drawing already ready to put the measurements on thanks for the tip phil. Ive got all materials being used and a detailed drawing of floor structure and wall structure etsc should i be doing a list of materials being used to forward to planning ? or include it in the image ? thanks

13. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

Are you submitting a full plans application or building notice to bc?

14. Phil the Paver

Can you still build on notice up there, down here you have to submit a full set of detailed drawing before work commences, if you wish to alter them you have to apply for it, the BC offices can't just say "yes that'll be fine".

15. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

Up where?

16. Phil the Paver

Your profile says your from Manchester, so I'm guessing Manchester. :)

17. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

I was unsure weather you ment manchester, or further up there (Scotland) as mentioned by someone else.

Why can't you build on a notice???

Just submitted one last week...

18. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

The only reason I'm asking is because... If the OP doesn't know what should be on the plans for a planning application he's going to struggle more with the BC plans.

19. Phil the Paver

It's been at least 3 years since you could start building and then get the BC to come along and say, " yes that'll do, carry on", every thing has to be cleared before work begins.

20. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member