Plasterboard Hoist

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by V.J.Plastering, Feb 28, 2014.

1. V.J.Plastering

V.J.Plastering New Member

Has anyone got a recommendation, or have experience of a plasterboard hoist/lift?

I have to board a 2.7m ceiling, by myself, and this seems the easiest way. Can't decide whether to buy a cheapie from Ebay, or hire one from HSS.

Any help appreciated.

2. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

Why do you have to do it yourself? Get a labourer or a couple of mates to help. A hell of a lot easier than wrestling about with hoists on your own. I have done it in the past using 'trees' but more hands are always preferable. If its a one of and you have to do it on your own then hire from HSS.

3. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

Plasterboard hoists are good but depends on the size of the room, I've had mine about 2 years haven't used it a lot but quite a few times when I couldn't get a labourer. The only problem with it is you can't get the boards right to the edge with it because the legs stick out too much. When you board the ceiling with it you will have 400mm around the edge of the whole room to board without it.

Then I use these for the edges.

http://m.screwfix.com/p/forge-steel-extension-support-rod-pack-of-2/78272?filtered=true

If it's just a small room don't bother. Just get a labourer.

4. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

Them support rods are one of the best things I've bought. I've had them for about 2-3 years and I wouldn't plasterboard a ceiling without them. Even with a labourer.

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

brac.jpg Get a couple of brackets like this, screw them to the joists(along where one side of pb will come, 800mm and 1600mm), lift one side into them, and lift and straighten the other side, then tack. Unscrew and move them for next piece once the board is fully fixed.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
    FatHands likes this.
  6. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Those rods were in b&q / trade point around Christmas time - I think £10 each. I bought 4. Really good fair play

7. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

I got some of those too, also got some of the ones from screwfix but prefer the b&q ones, as they have a rectangular pad on each end to help spread the pressure to a bigger area, not to mention cheaper ( at the time atleast )

FatHands likes this.
  8. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

Are they the ones that have the sealant gun type handle on them?

I was going to buy the ones screwfix have with them handles on but I wasn't sure whether they'd last or not.

These forge steel ones have a different type of lock on them. You pretty much just pull the prop and it locks automatically. Then you twist them to add more or less pressure.

They're good for fitting loft hatches too! 2 pieces of timber across the opening underneath with these props holding them up and you can just place the hatch on top. Gets it perfectly flush with the ceiling.

9. FatHands

That's the ones mate :)

10. Keep an eye out at aldi, they offer them about £10 a pair, had mine about 6yr.

Also handy if you have 8x4 sheets on edge in your van, couple of props across to keep them in place.

FatHands likes this.
  11. FatHands

thats a good idea to stop them moving about!
    yeah good call. aldi had a good plaster mixer a while back. think it was about £40. well worth it