First Time Plasterer Seeking Advice

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by AndyF55, Feb 26, 2014.

1. AndyF55

AndyF55 New Member

I didn't change the trowel in the end - I just couldn't bring myself to fork out any more ££'s.

Now, despite using the word 'fork', I'm pretty sure non of this can be interpreted as xxx rated!

2. AndyF55

AndyF55 New Member

Hello All,

I have noticed a couple of patches on the new plaster that are a little cracked. They are only small spots, but they do look a little fragile.

Could anyone say why this occurs? Is it due to poorly mixed plaster? Over-worked plaster when applying? Plaster drying to quickly?

Is there anything that can be done about it? I'm incline to leave it as it doesn't look bad, but would it be better to knock is out and patch it up?

Cheers,
    Andy

3. Close-up photo, please?

Does it feel loose/ hollow if tapped?

4. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Sean, DA asked for a pic of the wall the OP plastered, not one you did. :p:p

6. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

it's wallpaper ya muppet ;)

7. Phil the Paver

Very 1970s. :)

8. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

as was dropped ceilings and funky lighting :)

9. AndyF55

AndyF55 New Member

I'm having to compress these images quite a lot, but they should provide an indication. I've stuck one in of the entire wall now that it is about dry.

One area although cracked feel secure. The other feels like it might come off if I knock it too hard.

Attached Files:

10. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

It's an old Victorian 3 bed terrace so it's fine ;) Lol

11. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

It's really nice looking, but you do know it's not complete until ......

[​IMG]

12. Phil the Paver

Right ladies, back on topic, otherwise I'll have make you stay behind after school and write lines, "I must not take over the OPs thread" a 100 times.

Looking at the pics you have posted, I'm afraid it looks as if you are going to have to re-skim the whole wall, I would allow it to dry out completely, PVA it again and re-skim.

The wall left of the wall you have done doesn't look prime for just a skimming as it is it looks very bumpy and is that paint on there, shouldn't be skimming over paint.

13. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

****!!! What did you do to it?!? Lol

14. Phil the Paver

Do you think its to thick and dried out to quick causing it to crack like that, I'd be shock if it stuck to the wall at all, if it hasn't then it'll have to come off and start again.:(

15. That doesn't look good, Andy :(. I'm not experienced enough to guess at the cause. But I will :p.

I suspect the skim isn't adhering to the substrate properly. Why this is, I dunno. But I'll guess again...

Was the surface properly cleaned and all loose stuff removed? Did you apply a coat of PVA and allow it to dry? When dry, was it even, or were there any signs of it being repelled as if there was a greasy surface underneath? Or any bubbles in it?

How long did the plaster remain light pink before it started to turn dark? (Ie - any chance it started to set as you were still applying it?)

Try chipping away at the cracked bits - does it crumble easily? Is it well stuck?

16. AndyF55

AndyF55 New Member

I cleaned down the wall and sanded it, then applied four PVA coats and started the plastering as the final coat was nearly dry (taking the advice to apply plaster whilst the PVA was tacky). I didn't notice any signs of it being repelled.

I did think that is was starting to set as I was still applying the first skim. It took me a while to work it all over the wall.

I'll have a tap at them later to see if there's any crumbling. The two areas are quite small (the worst is only about 6" high). If it comes down to it I'll knock out the bad stuff and reapply when I start on another wall tonight.

Cheers for the feedback.

Now, where's that disco ball...

17. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

4 coats of pva you've probably killed all the suction making it like skimming glass.

18. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

Also... I'm just trying to work out which is the wall you skimmed :p

19. AndyF55

AndyF55 New Member

Honestly, it's the light and my rubbish camera; the wall looks great.

Ahh - so too much PVA is bad. Makes sense really.

Well, I guess I'll apply some new rules to the next attempt.

Thanks,
    A

20. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

The pva is to control the suction so the plaster doesn't dry out too quick. Too much and you leave no suction. I usually only use 1 coat of pva 50/50