Internal stud walls

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Whitling2k, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I'm sure he did, just saying in case the OP took it as I thought and set it all out, only to realise it's all wrong.

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

3. Whitling2k

Whitling2k Member

so 400cm from the wall for the first one, measure from the end to the centre at 400mm intervals?! ;) (hehe joking of course!!)

Found a self levelling laser level at screwfix for £49.99 - so at least my wall will be vertical AND have well spaced studs!!

Whitling2k

4. Don't look into the light.

(Well, there was a chance he would...)

5. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

complete waste of money - buy a good quality 1.8m level

6. Phil the Paver

Agreed, you will use the level many more times then the laser.:)

7. Whitling2k

Whitling2k Member

Well thats a bit subjective and luckily I wasn't asking for an opinion on that. It's a vertical and horizontal line on an uneven surface that i can work to without needing extra hands! It's something i've been eyeing up for a while now for other DIY jobs and the first stud against the wall was my tipping point.

Whitling2k

8. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

just don't assume it's accurate

9. Don't assume that Sean is either :p.

Valid point, tho' - really worth testing. Not sure how to do that, tho' - use a level? :rolleyes: Or the 'magic hose' method...

As you can probably imagine, the problem with a 'level' being projected out from a single source is that a tiny source error will be magnified.

10. plane-it

plane-it Member

Found that battening and boarding on sloping-in walls (roof space) the laser works great but spirit level for everything else.

11. Whitling2k

Whitling2k Member

Both horizontal and vertical did tie in very well with my 5' level. Not checked it against my 12" level. There is a chance that my level is out - but thats why I went for a self levelling device. At least it should calibrate it's self against gravity each time it's turned on. And the fact that the projected line is 1-2mm thick by the time it's travelled across the room.

It's alright actually - i do agree that it's akin to theAmericans multimillion dollar space pen development - it can write upside down, under water, in a vacuum, in zero g and no gravity. The Russians took a pencil :)

vivaro man and Phil the Paver like this.
  12. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Interesting comments about the laser vs traditional methods. I'm sure there were similar things being said about the plumb bob vs the spirit level in the 19th century. When were spirit levels first used?

I discovered laser levels and self levellers about 12 yrs ago and could not believe how great they were. But as Mrs Viv will tell you any new gadget will be found in my van within weeks of it's production. I guess it's just a silly old man thing.

Did anyone go to Toolfair at Harrogate on Thursday/Friday of last week? Loved it, like a kid in a sweetshop!

13. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

but there are laser levels and laser levels .....

vivaro man likes this.
  14. Biochef

Biochef Member

I though it was 600 centres.
    has it changed ? :confused:

15. Phil the Paver

600 works, it just not as strong in terms of the plasterboard. ;)

16. Whitling2k

Whitling2k Member

laser levels, spacings and grammar/punctuation aside... I thought I'd post a few progress pics of the work you helped me to DMS (Do-me-Sen ;-))

It's slow going this DIY lark - around heat-waves, full time work, keeping the grass short and house running, keeping fit and doing all the other renovation tasks too!

Getting there though :)

P1010626.JPG P1010630.JPG P1010669.JPG P1010696.JPG

17. OOOOoooooooooooohh - I bet you feel smug :rolleyes:.

You should :).

18. Phil the Paver

Looking good, but I've gotta ask, why are you dividing up that nice big room.

19. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Whitling that's good work or as my apprentice says it's the bomb! Apparently his car is the bomb.

On a serious note you've turned your corners well and everything looks nice and square. Thanks for the photo's much appreciated.

20. Whitling2k

Whitling2k Member

Thanks peeps! it's been great fun - I'm going to miss doing it! [queues stud walls being build left/right&centre!]

Phil - had to split them on advice of the structural engineer and I needed somewhere as a study separate from the rest of the house! I do hear ya tho - and that's why I went for the french doors to let some light through!

Vivaro - it's mostly nice and square - apart from when I had to taper a section off to about 5 degrees off-vertical so it tied in to a non-vertical wall brick wall, as well as fitting things to my 'sloping' ceiling! :rolleyes:

Whitling2k

FatHands likes this.