cordless drill

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by 1rocky1, Mar 26, 2014.

1. 1rocky1

1rocky1 Member

hi all , looking to get new drill , these £99.00 things dont know weather to go lithuim or normal batts any idears ? + wot make? thanks in advance rich.

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

In the price range they are all a much of a muchness, lithuim are better batteries, look on Screwfix site and go for the best deal on the day.

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Are you diy?

4. 1rocky1

1rocky1 Member

thanks phil , not had any dealings with lith batteries , they seem to be around the 1.5 ampers any good ?

5. 1rocky1

1rocky1 Member

hi chippie, light trade , around farm use , not sure if these drills 1.5 ampers are any good !

6. Phil the Paver

7. 1rocky1

1rocky1 Member

thought of that one phill , years ago i bought a dewalt combi set drill +jigsaw £460 . had nothing but trouble with it put me off dewalt a bit ! think i will have a look at the hitachi looks about the best to me ! thanks phill .

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The amp hours are what power it will give out and for how long so 1.5 amp hours means it will supply 1.5 amp for an hour or .75 amps for 2 hours.
    1.5 Ah isn't the longest lasting battery in the world but if you have 2 batteries and a fast charger or you only need to bang a few screws in it will be fine.
    A cheap NiCad battery may take 3 hours to charge but my Li-ion charge in 20 mins.

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

As Phil said there are always £99 deals so pick the best one and that deal looks ok.

10. 1rocky1

1rocky1 Member

thanks chippie ,i am just getting to grips a bit with this amp hours bit lol , just not sure about wots best lith or ni cad ! thanks .

11. Phil the Paver

The drill I posted, says 40 mins charge time, I would think even constant screwing of screws the battery should last as long as it takes to charge the other one.

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Li Ion every time. Unless you are an industrial user that drill will be fine.

13. 1rocky1

1rocky1 Member

thats wot i am hoping phill , thinking back had a 12v hitatchi that was a good little drill ! think will go for that one , will let u know howe it performs , kind regards rich.

14. 1rocky1

1rocky1 Member

thanks chippie , made mind up will go for that one , will let you know how i get on , kind regards rich.

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

On this subject, what happened to Nickel Metal Halide batteries They took over from Ni Cads but disappeared with the advent of Li ion but Ni Cads are still here

16. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

I have that Hitachi drill, It's not bad overall. Lasts a fair time on a charge. Only thing I hate about it is the chuck, It does not have spindle lock so you have to hold one part of the chuck ring while tightening the other. For some reason it smells like TCP o_O.

17. 1rocky1

1rocky1 Member

you have lost me now chippie lol i must be still in the dark ages where batterys are consened .

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Sorry Rocky, that was me looking for some answers to a different question.

19. 1rocky1

1rocky1 Member

thanks cheburashka tcp lol , will be ok with chuck as not useing it all the time to change bits ect ! do you find it powerfull enough for most jobs ?

20. Phil the Paver

though they had the ability of power, the shelf discharge rate was terrible, about 4% a day where as lith batteries have a very little discharge rate so won the war.