no light or hot water from electric shower

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by liz76, Jun 19, 2014.

1. liz76

liz76 New Member

Help!! Just turned my Creda shower on,jumped in and water was freezing cold!! Then notice that the power light hadn't illuminated either.Not sure which way to turn - don't want to buy a new shower if it's an electrical problem outside of the actual shower unit but don't want to pay for an electrician if the problem is the shower unit.Any way a totally clueless person (me) with no plumbing/electrical know-how can find out what the problem is?? The shower is Creda model no 53675540 ( I think),not sure how long we've had it,longer than 2 years but less than 10. Thank you

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Do you have a pull cord sited in the bathroom or a switch located outside of the bathroom and is it on (normally there is a neon light to indicate it is on) ?

We had a Creda shower and it failed within 2 years of installation. Have now a Triton, no problems so far. :)

I

3. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

check the consumer unit/fuseboard - see if there's a trip that's off

4. liz76

liz76 New Member

Yes switch located out of the bathroom and it's on,or at least it's illuminated.I showered all my children last night - no problems then I went to get in tonight and...

5. liz76

liz76 New Member

Okay now I'm going to show my ignorance!! I thought my fuses co-related to the rooms so wouldn't my bathroom lights not work either if my fuse had tripped?

6. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

no :rolleyes:

7. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

is that an illuminated isolator for the shower ? - if the neon is lit then that points to either a faulty switch, or faulty shower - but it might just be something as simple as a partially blocked outlet hose in the shower

if you do find it's the shower that's failed just buy a new one - you could easily spend the price of a new one on fixing the old one

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Same thing happened with ours - just packed up one day. Looks like a new shower then...

9. Liz, I was going to suggest that you first check that the isolating switch is illuminated and, if it is, the next step would be to - carefully - test for power inside the case.

But then I read you comment about 'fuses co-relating to rooms'.

Liz, you need to get someone in.

10. liz76

liz76 New Member

Thanks Devil Advocate:p I did admit to my total ignorance in these matters in my initial post!!! I just remembered that each of the fuses in my fuse box was labelled living room,kitchen,outside etc etc so assumed that if a fuse had blown preventing my shower from working then the whole bathroom electrics would have gone too. I just wanted a rough idea of what it could be so when I did get someone in they wouldn't take advantage of my naivety.

11. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

Is there one labelled ''shower'' - perhaps there's a much smaller newer looking box adjacent to the main fuse box with a single trip in it ?

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Turn the shower to low heat, hold the shower head down to the floor(bath/tray) and turn the shower on and off 10 times like a second on, a second off etc. Put the shower head back up, turn the shower to hot(or quite hot) setting and run normally.

Any change?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Run around 3 times saying Macbeth Macbeth, put a feather in a bowl to see which way the floor is unlevel, nail the floor through the carpet and prove that it rains up hill under decking and then my son...

14. Mr. Handyandy

The 'feather in the bowl' thread was NOT MINE.

Now run along(or words to that effect)!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

15. Mr. Handyandy

When you turn a shower on, pressure opens valves and activates switches like the heater. A valve may need a bit of a shove if becomes stuck. Try the below...

Turn the shower to low heat, hold the shower head down to the floor(bath/tray) and turn the shower on and off 10 times like a second on, a second off etc. Put the shower head back up, turn the shower to hot(or quite hot) setting and run normally.
    Any change?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

16. liz76

liz76 New Member

Tried that Mr HandyAndy but no luck and found the fuse for the shower - it was a single newer looking box but the fuse wire is still complete so I'm guessing it's the actual shower and therefore needs replacing??????;)

17. If you've got an electric shower protected by fuse wire then it's definitely time you got someone in. An electrician would be a good start.

18. liz76

liz76 New Member

Why? That sounds ominous!!

19. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

I suspect he fears that you have the old fashioned re-wireable style of fusebox, which in some fault conditions can be far less safe than their more modern alternatives - perhaps if you could post an image of it so that we can all stop worrying ?

It's common for a separate single device consumer unit to be installed to protect a shower (as intimated in your previous post), these have resettable trips - but your additional comment about the fuse wire still being complete is at odds with it being of the new type

it may well be that something has just tripped, and just needs resetting - but generally they trip for a reason, one being that the shower has gone faulty - so a new unit might well need to be added to your shopping list