chimney removal and costs

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by sjabby, Jun 19, 2014.

1. sjabby

sjabby New Member

Hi there. ....i have been quoted 2600 pounds for the removal of two chimney breasts..i was wondering if this is reasonable. Also how is it that a chimney breast is removed...is scaffolding involved? Is the chimney breast taken down from the top first and then supporter with rsj? The structural engineer has applied to council on our behalf and it looks as though we will get permission in another few weeks. Reason being people have removed chimney breasts in the past on our street...any help much appreciated.:)

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Are the stacks coming down as well?

3. sjabby

sjabby New Member

thanks for the reply...no the stacks are staying....i have been given plans by engineer that show one steel beam going in on the first floor supporting the stack. Timber joists will be put in on the ground floor and ceiling. Thanku

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Hi is it a victorian house?

I presume the builder will do the full works i.e. plastering, refitting skirting board, coving, cornince and painting. If so I would say its a fair price to pay. Good you are keeping the stacks, this will be capef off but you could still keep the pots on to keep as decoration.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If it's the full works as Jitender suggests, start to finish I think you have had a very favourable quote :)

6. sjabby

sjabby New Member

Yes its a Victorian house....i have had another quote from a builder that's just a tad bit cheaper so going to hopefully get on with this in two weeks time...no the cornice..coving is not included but hopefully will try and get this in for free hehe thank you

7. sjabby

sjabby New Member

Just a quick question...how much do you think it should cost to replaster a tiny two by two kitchenette? Thanks

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

If its intricate, not off the shelf cornice you will need to find a fibouros plasterer, some plasterers do this. and can be expensive. I was able toget hold of a local supplier who knocked me up a few lengths, having provided a template at a fraction of the cost. If there is a picture or dado rail thst too would add to the cost.

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Just a question, why are you removing the breasts? Is it to make more room?

I once lived in a victorian house and my dad with his ideas! had the chimney breast removef in both the front room and living room. Yes youve gueszed it the chimney breasts and stacks in the bedrooms above werent removed....30 years afrer i had the breast replaced in the front room. there was a joist in there held by a screwdriver.

10. sjabby

sjabby New Member

yeah..i am having chimney breast removed from front room and bedroom above it to make more room...they are like 10 foot tall and really wide so hopefully will make a difference...i am not removing the living room chimney because it looks nice in that room and already dreaming of a marble fireplace for that! :-D. I

11. sjabby

sjabby New Member

P.s.shocking about that screwdriver! Blimey how did that stay up all that time...:-S

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

My dad still owns the house, every year we try and improve it. The bricks were toothed in every 3-4 courses. There is a cellar under the front room with an arched pillar so this was ablevto support the new bricks. In the livibv room there was some footings but they need redoing. The void is full with infill si only a 1ft crawler space.

Last year we discovered a well. It was man made and not natural, apparrntly built to collect rainwater for washing and garden use etc. It was onky 7ft deep. There was a lead pipe which was split like a filter at the bottom to stop debris comibg through.