Hot Water Booster Pump Problem

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Eddie Wright, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Eddie Wright

Eddie Wright New Member

Hi, I live in a single floor flat with a standard immersion heater hot water tank. As there is insufficient head between the water tank and the taps/shower the original plumber installed a single impeller hot water pump in order to drive them. The cold water is mains fed throughout. I replaced this pump a few years ago when the bearing wore out but I am now experiencing a different problem and was wondering whether anyone can point me in the right direction for trouble shooting.

Normally when I turn on a hot water tap there is a slight delay and then the pump kicks in, what I am getting now is just a trickle and I can hear the pump humming slightly but it does not kick in. If I wait a while (anything from a minute up to an hour or more) and then try again it will work as normal. To my mind this seems to indicate a problem with the electronics controlling the motor but I am not experienced enough to be sure of this.

I would like to avoid having to replace the entire pump as this will cost my landlord about £200 and when I can save him money it keeps my rent down and keeps him happy.

I am a competent home electrician and a competent home plumber having done my own basic repairs for nearly forty years.

There is no gas supply to the flat block so I do not have to worry about any issues relating to gas.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can give.

Eddie

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

♪♫when ever you're sad, when ever you're blue, when ever your trouble are heavy,♪♫

pe dum pub ♪♫ just like eddie♪♫

hi Eddie, there's not much you can do if a pumps not running, theres a sensor on the side that might need cleaning or a tap with a hammer but its unlikely, they're electronicly controlled by a PCB, here's one of my little video's i hope its informative and helps,
    tom,

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Tom, are you related to Fred Dibnah. :)

4. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

Phil no, but i understand why, i've been asked that before, ;)

5. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Good old Fred Dibnah he was a class man,I used to love watching him on the television. Real old school a Tom.:)

6. Biochef

Biochef Member

Tom Try and keep flex inside connection box next time :rolleyes:

7. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

cheers biocook, did you also clock its only twin cable and the pump should be earthed, its shocking what we owd un's do when there's nobody watching, talk about men behaving badly :rolleyes:

8. Biochef

Biochef Member

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Tom's from Wigan and Fred was from Bolton, I know it's all the same to you southeners but there is 8 miles between them. ;);)

10. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

What do you mean you southeners, where the **** do you live, by the way, I was born in Yorkshire, Gods own country.

11. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

Tom's from Wigan and Fred was from Bolton, I know it's all the same to you southeners but there is 8 miles between them. ;);)

I know chippie but my dad had a bike and 8 miles is nothing to a northener, Bladley Wiggins lives in Wigan too i don't know if its just coincidence but he rides a bike and speaks northeren, albeit a bit posher :oops:

12. Eddie Wright

Eddie Wright New Member

Thanks Tom, turns out to be the capacitor - in contact with the manufacturer to see whether it is possible to get a replacement as the rest of the pump is OK and I hate waste.

Think this thread has gone well off topic now :)

Eddie

13. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

hi Eddie, if its just the capacitor you should get one at maplins for a few bob, good luck,

threads often take a tangent, its a fun forum as well as an informative one, I for one hope it stays that way, :)