Help us improve our website

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by screwfix.peter, Sep 2, 2014.

1. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

2. Supra

Supra Member

Yes, the Toolstation search facility isn't the best.

But when you're in the correct department it's all there though.

If I searched for a float valve for instance it would always find at least one product and it would indicate which department they were in and then I would click on that so it filters out all of the irrelevant products.

3. The reviews are good as it lets you to get other peoples opinions on the quality of a tool etc, Theres a few bits you dont sell but apart from that its ok but as there isnt a store near me i tend to use the local merchants so i dont have a great deal of experience buying off you

4. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Actually, there is something i would add.
    I placed an order yesterday afternoon and one of the items was down for next day collection at the store. You usually receive an email and text saying the order has been placed, although this didn't happen. Later on i logged in to the website and it said the status was processing. Concerned that the order wouldn't arrive the following day (today), i called Screwfix and spoke to a really helpful guy who said the order would arrive (although didn't ask who i was, or the order number) and the fact it was in the processing state was normal.

Perhaps the system could generate an email and text to say the order has gone through and will be available for collection after 12 the next day?

Just a thought - easier said than done, i know!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  5. screwfix.ed

screwfix.ed Administrator Staff Member

Thank you for your feedback. I will pass this to our Web Development Manager. If you PM me the order number i will check to ensure this has arrived at the store.

6. FatHands

Thanks for posting Ed - I just collected it. Happy days!

7. datadiffusion

datadiffusion New Member

Is it just me or is this latest website update really, really not playing nice with Chrome? Can't seem to use filters or turn pages at the bottom of products, example, looking at trunking (2m actually just what I need for once, saves waste ;) ) and see fittings below. Can't look at Page 1 or 3 which I assume would have been external angles.

Another example - search for drill - click on Bosch filter - nothing happens. It will if you click Enter on the browser bar as the url has been modified with filter=&bosch or something, but obviously couldn't execute by itself for some reason.

8. FatHands

hiya,
    is this chrome on a PC mate, or mobile device?

9. datadiffusion

datadiffusion New Member

PC Win 7 64 bit, chrome 38.0.2125.104 m with no updates available :)

10. screwfix.peter

screwfix.peter Administrator Staff Member

Hi Datadiffusion

Welcome to the Screwfix Community Forum. I hope you find this a helpful resource and you share your own knowledge with our members.

I have passed your comments to our Website Team who have tried to replicate the issues you have reported in your posting, however we have had no issues when we attempted this. If you are still having problems please email websitefeedback@screwfix.com with full details so we can investigate further.

Peter

11. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

One of my gripes is customer reviews. People just don't seem to understand the concept of rating products and averaging the marks. Would it be possible to have an automatic "Overall" rating based on the the other categories to avoid the stupidity of misunderstanding averages. Example: Value 1 star, Features 2 stars, Performance 3 stars, Reliability 1 star, Overall 5 stars. It's just daft what some people say and do with ratings. The other one "does exactly what it says on the tin" when there is no tin. Just no imagination. How does this help people when "does exactly what it says on the tin" is totally inappropriate.

12. APC

APC New Member

I have a question about reviews. Can you honestly rate reliability after owning a product for 6 days, 6 weeks or 6 months? Well Yes! and No!

The yes argument...

I always rate a product reliable, because up until that point it has been reliable, so logically it gets 5 stars. To be honest you can only really have a Yes or No to this answer because if its not a yes it can only be no, "you can't have a yes its reliable 50% of the time"

The No, maybe if's and but's
    I really don't get these people who rate a product at 3 stars after owning it for a few weeks and using the excuse I've only owned it for a few weeks so I can't tell if its reliable or not... "has it failed you during your ownership?" "No" then put 5 stars muppet" Maybe they think that using 3 stars means it is averagely reliable!! this is the pessimistic approach, it might not be reliable.

Maybe they do it because the review is not editable so the reviewer seems to think that 3 stars is a fair assessment... WRONG!! as mah! momma always says "if's but and maybes don't exist" so how you can logically guesstimate reliability is beyond me.

So, this leads on to another gripe... why can't we edit our reviews?
    If I feel that the product did not live up to my initial rating. Not being able to edit a review over at least a full year period; I'm using a year as a measuring stick because most manufacturers only have a years faith in their products, can lead to very misleading scores. Because of this, ratings should be taken with a pinch of salt and do not potentially represent the quality of a product in real terms. I feel you should also be able to edit, amend or delete your review if you feel strongly enough.

On a sideward slide, the advertising of products with the multi price is about as annoying as it gets, for me as a customer to go to a till and then be told the item price is the multi-item price and you only have one product so its more money is infuriating, so much so it stops me buying from you, a point in case was a TV wall bracket for a flat screen TV. its showed a multi price of approx £34 maybe a bit more but I didn't spot this because how many TV brackets do you buy in one purchase? So, when I got to the till and was told £39 it really annoyed me, so much so that I had to walk out of the store lest I say something I might have regretted later.

So either state it is a multi buy price clearly and that single item purchases will be more or continue to lose my business. I have actually written to you about this but you ignored me.

Jitender likes this.
  13. APC

APC New Member

I have chrome, in Windows 7, 8.1, and mac and all of them work fine. Do you have any add-ons installed like Adblock Plus or No-Script? If so try removing them, then uninstall Chrome and then reinstall chrome with no add-ons installed and try the site.

Different Browsers use different render/layout engines, Google and Opera both use the Blink engine, older versions of Opera used Presto, Firefox uses the Gecko engine, IE uses the Trident engine and Safari uses Webkit. So using either Firefox, Safari or IE will likely show different results because they use different rendering/layout engines. worth a go for test experience.

14. screwfix.peter

Hi @APC

Thank you for your comments about Product Reviews.

I have passed your comments to the people that deal with our reviews and they thank you for your comments and welcome your feedback.

Regarding your comments about the multibuy prices, we have recently changed how the pricing is displayed on our website to make this clearer.

upload_2015-1-7_10-26-50.png

Again thank you for your feedback

Regards

Peter

15. gpierce

gpierce Active Member

First thing, a filter on the right could be added to only show items in stock at my local store right now - last week I needed a 22mm SDS bit, and you sell loads, I only need to drill two holes so I don't really care which I buy. Click on the first result, none in stock, next day available. Second one - same again etc etc. What i was after in this case wasn't the widest possible range of bits you could supply for me tomorrow, I wanted to check what I can go and pick up right now, when I need it. Even if the little grey store icon (with the tick next to it) was green if it's in stock, and the purple colour you use on your 'next day' badge would be good, but an additional filter would be better (or even both).

Second, 90% of the time I buy items online and collect in store, just to make everything easier. But the other 10% of the time I need to pay cash for one reason or another. I tend to use the website a lot to compare items, and add them all to the basket (even if I am going into the store to buy them in cash) but then have to write down all the item numbers to take with me. I can't save an order (that I accept hasn't been reserved yet as not bought- fair enough) as a list in my account, and then just tell the store I want items on the 'buy in store' list under my account or whatever. A few months ago I had my father in law pop over to do a plumbing job for me, I got all the stuff together on the website, had to pay cash and so had to write down around 15 product numbers to take down with me. Would be a lot quicker and easier for me and the in store staff if that was an option. Even if you could add them to the main basket, and then you could tell store staff that you just want all the items in the basket on my account (depending if the basket is saved to the computer the end user is on, or their individual account).

An add to basket button would be useful on the search results page and the category pages, for example if I'm buying screws, I don't need to read the description and the reviews, if I'm buying lots of single, small items from the same category (i.e. screws, plumbing parts etc) then clicking on an 'add to basket' button instead of having to view the full product individually would be a timesaver, especially if combined with the first suggestion of showing stock availability on this page too - I could then whiz through some pages and click on the products I need, adding them to basket in one click and knowing they will be ready in 5 mins. I realise that the results pages need to be clean and not crammed with info and options, but I think those two suggestions should be manageable and realistic without compromising on the usability or the aesthetics.

I agree with APC as well with regards to editing reviews, some products I might review as amazing, until they break and turn out to be rubbish or have some design flaw. On the flip side, if I reviewed a product as terrible and then realised I had been using it wrong or not understood it, then I would be able to correct the review.

More positive stuff - Thanks for at last getting rid of Adobe Scene for larger images, the new 'bigger image' popups are much much better, could be improved slightly if zooming in was still an option but I much prefer the new popup

I might be wrong here, but I seem to remember that around a year ago, if a product had less than roughly a 2 star review average, the review rating wasn't even shown on the results page on search or categories - glad that seems to have changed, makes things much easier and doesn't feel as underhanded.

Much prefer the new way multi buy savings work - I know I'm not the first to comment on this, it really is much better now.

Been some good improvements over the last few months, I've really noticed a difference and it's getting better.

da4s likes this.
  16. da4s

da4s New Member

Excellent comments made by gpierce.

I too have a problem with pay and collect. I like to pay with cash at the store having checked the website for prices and availability. I record item numbers on my mobile and then go to the store and present to the store person who enters it into the system. All inefficient and time consuming

What would be ideal is to have quick shop that you pay at the store. There may be several reasons why SF have not adopted this feature , one reason being that customers can build many quick shop lists and not fulfil the orders at the store, ending up with many redundant orders that the system is holding stock for. This could be overcome by introducing a time limit, say 24hours after which the order is deleted.

Another option could be to extend the saved list feature to have a reference number that can be presented to the store person who can copy the list into an order.

Big Dunk likes this.
  17. diy_dave

diy_dave New Member

Toolstation have a similar feature on their website whereby you add the items to your basket, once done you can request a 'Quick Trolley' short code that you can give to a person in store. This then allows them to bring up the items that were in your basket. I've used this before and it works quite well. It's much easier than having to reel off a list of product codes and then listen as they recite the product names to make sure they got it correct.

18. screwfix.peter

Hi @da4s & @diy_dave

Firstly, welcome to the Screwfix Community Forum. I hope you find our Forum a helpful resource and a place to share your knowledge.

Thank you both for your feedback on how we operate and I have passed your feedback to the relevant teams.

Peter

19. Wayne Thomas

Wayne Thomas New Member

Is there a way to get multiple saved lists on the website like the app has? It would be a huge help for quoting.
    Also a single button to empty the basket as well.