What drill for no fines walls

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by HennyS, Oct 19, 2014.

1. HennyS

HennyS New Member

We live in a house made of no fines walls and they are pretty hardcore walls - poured concrete with lots of stones in it.
    We have now lived in it for 2 years but so far have been unable to hang up any heavy pictures, mirrors or shelves as even a nail won't go in these walls.
    We really would like to purchase a drill that can tackle these walls but not sure which one to get.
    Any help deciding would be very much appreciated!

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

My initial thoughts would be an sds+ drill and selection of bits. But,, having tried to drill holes into "no fines" walls, even that's going to be hard. Problem is the drill bit slips off the stones in the wall. ;);)

3. HennyS

HennyS New Member

I thought that an sds drill might be best, but what drill bits should I use? Diamond ones?

I have seen the walls when we broke through the outside wall in the extension to make the room open planned. The builders thought they could do it in half a day - it took them too weeks!!

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I've found it's not so much the bit you use but the ability of the drill to force the bit in, you will need a heavy duty drill with a high joules impact.

5. HennyS

HennyS New Member

As I'm pretty new when it comes to drilling could you please give me an example of a drill with high joules. :)

6. HennyS

HennyS New Member

7. Phil the Paver

8. HennyS

HennyS New Member

Your link takes me to the screwfix homepage. Where you trying to show me a specific drill there?

9. Phil the Paver

10. joinerjohn1

11. Phil the Paver

12. joinerjohn1

Phil, I think the only difference is the one you link to comes with an 18 piece accessory kit and the one I link to only comes with a 9 piece accessory kit. (accessories seem a bit expensive) ;);)

Phil the Paver likes this.
  13. HennyS

HennyS New Member

Cool! Thank you. That's much cheaper than I thought I would have to spend on it. Will give it a try. Thank you. :)

14. Phil the Paver

Well spotted Batman. :):)

15. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

...and use the shortest drill-bit you can get away with, as it will help prevent the bit from trying to bend round stones.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

16. That is cracking value - they ain't 'alf bad either.

I'd add to Mr Ha's advice to use a narrow diameter bit - say the 5 or 5.5mm one. Don't press hard at all - let the drill do the work. Just hold the beast nice and steady and apply gentle pressure - you'll 'feel' the drill do the work.

If you haven't used an SDS drill before, you are in for a surprise - and a treat :).

17. Calum Smith

Calum Smith New Member

Hi could someone tell me what kind of wall plug I have to use for no fines as I was told a normal concrete one wouldn't work