Corded Vs Cordless Multicutter/Multitool

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by C Windsor General Builder, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Doing a bit of research on peoples experience with corded and cordless and see what the general consensus is of which is better

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I have a Bosch GOP 250CE 240V version, which was purchased as a kit with case a few years ago.

Very good tool, mainly used to cut the tongue on floorboards and across the grain for access as well as other places where no other tool could takes it's place. The only downside is the blades can be expensive and need replacing quite often, cheap blades can be purchased on e-bay. As a sander I found it has too much vibration and the velcro discs become loose after a short while. I have a Bosch delta sander which is much better for sanding.

The other thing the noise things they make, I understand that fein have made a newer version with 50% less vibration/noise.

3. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

I've got a corded stanley-fat-max multi cutter and must say one of the best tools I've ever brought,a plumber friend of mine had a cordless one which wasn't up to the corded one I've got but having said that his was a cheapish make,sometimes it's nice to have the best of both worlds but I always make do with my corded one.;)

4. Thats the thing im thinking a corded one would get annoying but not sure if even an 18v cordless one would have the same grunt as corded

5. plumberboy

If you want grunt then I'd go for corded,mine powers through everything I throw at it,amazing tools.

6. Yeah im swinging that way especially since my local merchants has a corded dewalt one on special offer for christmas :)

7. plumberboy

Its meant to be then Mr Windsor.:)Buy and enjoy.;)

8. Reckon so thats if they havent sold them all yet hahaha but ive got to go in first thing tomorrow so should be in luck :)

9. plumberboy

Fingers crossed mate..;)

10. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

I bought a Ryobi 12v cordless one good tool but short life on the battery, I could do with a spare battery but as usual a battery costs about two thirds of the kit price :(

11. big all

big all Screwfix Select

mains will always be better for speed
    if its an occasional tool then battery is more flexable but you need at least 2 batteries
    i have both the bosch blue 10.8v and the ryobi 18v and theres not much in it except the battery last much longer

12. Mmmm shiny shiny went for corded has a good long cord feels good and sturdy got a sensitive trigger as aposed to a switch and dial and the tool less blade change looks bloody good. Not too impressed with the foam case but as discussed in the power tool case thread nothing ever fits right hahaha now i just need a job to test it out so i can see what it can do will be sods law i wont need it for a month now hahaha

13. plumberboy

Looks good and they hadn't sold out,it's one of them tools that once you've got one you'd never be without ever again.
    Good choice as well Mr Windsor.;););)

14. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

nice bit of kit there :)

15. Aye and it feels like its got some serious grunt when i plugged it in to check it worked :) normally a makita man for cordless (lots of spare batterys) but for corded i tend to buy best and most affordable :)

plumberboy likes this.
  16. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

Wise decision ................ I want one :)

17. plumberboy

Its the same colour as you as well flats.:cool:

18. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Just the thoughts of a diy'er here;

I brought the corded green Bosch a couple of years ago and my brother got the battery one

I brought mine initially as I was refurbing my bathroom and wanted to cut out all the grouting - I knew the battery version wouldn't be up to the task (especially with just the 1 battery)

I've gotta say it's a great tool - good enough for a diy'er, and it gets used frequently

My brother wishes he also went for the corded version. It just seems to lack power (compared to corded) and battery life is poor.
    Battery is nearly totally useless now as doesn't hold it's charge

How he wishes he went corded, my bruv !

As for blades and prices, well you have to shop around
    Every now and again aldi has a blade pack on special buy for £10
    Think you get around 6 blades plus a scraper and grout remover
    I've found these blades just as good as Bosch blades - for less than the price of 1 blade !

plumberboy likes this.
  19. Yeah glad i chose corded i bought a pack of 7 blades made by faithful for £15 and they even work with the tool less blade change on the dewalt Proper Job