Weatherproof seal for cctv connectors

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by teabreak, Feb 1, 2015.

1. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Hi All,
    I am fitting some cctv cameras I have connected them up on the table and they seem OK for my purposes, but although the cameras are for outdoor use the connectors don't seem in any way weatherproof.
    I have some weatherproof junction boxes that I could use with some rubber blanking plugs for sealing the knock outs but They will only take one set of connectors per box and they are quite bulky, I also need to source a suitable blanking plug to split and fit around the wires.
    Is there a "proper" sleeve for external use of these connectors please?

CCTV 2.JPG CCTV 1.JPG

2. JD 6400

JD 6400 New Member

Can you just keep the entry / exit points at the bottom of the boxes , unless you are planning to install them in a submerged situation they should still give adequate protection , and will also drain if the seal were to fail else where on the lid .

Failing that , if the boxes are just too bulky and unsightly , you could go with some glue lined heat shrink , maybe ?

3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Thanks for the quick reply , yes I will use a bottom entry (just wait for the comments! Oh-Er Mrs:p) and just rely on the blanking plugs / glands as a back up. Wondered about shrink / silicone but really want access easy in case a camera fails and needs changing.
    Just hoped there was a pukka in line sealing device.

4. JD 6400

JD 6400 New Member

To be honest , if you are using those wiska boxes you could just punch through the rubber seal and be done with it , on a set up that is slightly more aesthetically sensitive , like a house .
    But if on a industrial estate , I would screw in a couple of stuffing glands , having said that , you may still need to remove the rubber ring in the stuffing gland anyway , in order to pass both the plugs through .

5. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Thanks JD 6400.
    Yes unfortunately the plugs would not go through the rubber diaphragm so I had to knock out the seal, I have some glands on order I think will screw directly onto the 20mm holes but I suspect the larger plug will not pass through the gland nut.

6. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Cant you just wrap them with self amalgamating tape to keep out the water?

FatHands and spinlondon like this.
  7. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Looks like the same story as the LED security lights, not enough flex to be able to do the joint internally.

8. gpierce

gpierce Active Member

I've just had this problem, I found the best solution was to buy some twin video / power cable for CCTV systems on a roll, and buy the connectors. That way you can push the wire through the rubber and get a tight fit, and then wire on the BNC and DC connectors. It also had the added bonus of dramatically reducing the size of the hole that needed to be drilled in the external walls for feeding the wire through, and the wires are all the right lengths. The CCTV cable looks just like the dual cable Sky use - except one of them is power instead of coax. Get some cable clips for shotgun cable and you're set.

The twist on BNC connectors are easy as pie to fit.

9. JD 6400

JD 6400 New Member

Good fix !

10. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

The usual solution, I see, is to use self amalgamating tape.

11. Owain

Owain Member

12. JD 6400

JD 6400 New Member

Good for the cat5 , but you still need to bring the connections in from the camera to then fit the balun

13. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Thank you, a neat answer to the hole size issue, but if I am honest I will likely bottle out of cutting the leads, in case I have any warranty issues with the equipment;):eek:

14. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I found that drilling a 20mm hole through my wall I could feed both connectors through and fit the camera directly over the hole so that no wiring is visible. So both connectors are in the loft. The cable was long enough from the camera to allow me to fix it on to the cables. That is a neat idea from your original post. Could you fix the box tight under the eaves soffit to shelter it from rain? That would be ok.

15. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Sorted!:)
    Thought I would post in case it is useful for someone else.
    I removed the rubber sleeve (which was too large to clamp down on the cable) reamed out the ridge in the gland and the nut with a 16mm forstner bit to allow the connector to pass through and replaced the seal with a tap washer with a silt cut to the centre hole.

sorted.JPG
    Works a treat!
    Had intended to fit it all up tomorrow but the wind whips through the side of my house like a wind tunnel, given the forecast it might get put off:D

Thank you all for your suggestions, best wishes,
    teabreak:)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
    FatHands and Welshdragon1 like this.
  16. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

Ingenious, thank you for sharing :)

17. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

glad you got it sorted Teabreak, hope the wind calms down for you tomorrow

18. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

And there was me thinking seals were weatherproof anyway. Aaarff Aaarff...:)

19. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

That's just Silly, now then where did I leave my gun :p:p:p:p:D:D:D