Possible to get clean cut on Porcelain Tiles ?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Acapris, Feb 16, 2015.

1. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

Is the tile on the right of the picture?
    B J

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I'm confused, in the pic is the tile on the right then ( you say it's smooth) , if so then the pics shows it to be cut perfect and the plaster surface on the left to be jaggered.

3. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

That's exactly what it looks like...

4. Acapris

Acapris Member

On the right is the painted wood next to the window.
    Sorry for the confusion.
    Tile is on the left with the jaggered edge.

5. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

Then in that case, he's cut that with a hammer and bolster...

B J

Acapris likes this.
  6. But... the chipped-edge look is in keeping with the face of the tile :rolleyes:

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Flickin wind-up if you ask me!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. Acapris

Acapris Member

Yes, I did think it was pretty bad,
    just was not sure how possible it
    would be to get a clean edge but
    will chase him up to have another
    go at it.
    thank you for the replies !

9. Warren kemp

Warren kemp New Member

Yes looks rough, has either been cut with a dry cutter or an angle grinder. It is easily possible to get a near perfect cut on porcelain tiles with a wet cutter and descent diamond blade. And, the wetter the better to keep the blade cool and reduce vibration

10. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Thanks very much for the info. I have just gone out and bought one. Note to others;- They are in short supply!

11. Warren kemp

Warren kemp New Member

I've had a qep cutter for about 6 years now... It's been working hard and still going strong. Think it may have been bought out by vitrex and now called the vitrex pro wet/ dry cutter

Great compact wet cutter and easy to maintain with the cast bed

12. safire

safire New Member

13. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

14. safire

safire New Member

how is this spam? the post was about how to get clean cuts in porcelain tiles and we can cut almost all porcelain tiles very cleanly and accurately. in fact we can also cut odd shaped items like this porcelain Bidet which we cut tap holes into:
    https://safirewaterjet.co.uk/tap-holes-drilled-into-a-villeroy-and-boch-bidet-with-waterjet-cutting/
    the post was to assist people with the same dilema.

and to answer your question, yes we could cut the spam and the tin it is in ! ;-)

15. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

It's spam because you've contributed nothing to the forum other than pushing your business.

In real terms no one is going to be coming to you to get a set of bathroom tiles cut for a wall line so it's an irrelevant post. If it was a post about cutting 500 large format tiles at a time to exact dimensions it might have been more relevant.

16. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

It looks like the tile is on the right to me. Is it?

John
    -

17. Alwaysworking

Alwaysworking Active Member

18. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Ok missed that the tile is on the left. In that case it's not a cut it's been chobled off. Rather strange. I'm amazed that any tiler would do that. Gob smacked in fact.

Cutting porcelain tiles? I made a lot of cuts on 1st grade italian porcelain tiles with a perfectly ordinary tile cutter. This one

https://www.toolstation.com/vitrex-heavy-duty-tile-cutter/p12593

I did wreck a couple initially but then put a small off cut in front of the tile to be cut and set the pressure on that, Than ran it across the tile. ;) I'm inclined to take it apart and arrange so that I can pull rather than push. Last time I cut similar tiles but exterior grade, frost proof and thicker the tile supplier loaned me a uk made on that worked that way and I didn't spoil a single tile.

;) The reviews on the Vitrex cutter amuse me. One reason for problems never mentioned on reviews is the user. Ok some far more expensive ones may have a heavier bed but used correctly they don't need that much pressure.

Some cuts were made with the wickes cheapo electric one. The blades they come with are ok. Other makes at all sorts of prices may benefit from a better blades than the one they come with even on better quality ceramic.

If some one needs to cut bevels a bridge saw is best really. The Vitrex one is nvg as the head isn't located well. Took it back. The Rubi one is ok but water will get onto the floor. It just runs off the table. The one that Machine Mart is selling off rather cheaply may well be ok if set up carefully and provided with a decent blade. I suspect angle settings would need to be checked at each end of the travel. Their blades tend to chip edges a tiny bit. Ordinary electric tile cutters not so good for what I needed to do. Often just half of the table swings up which limits what might need to be done. Ones with the blade in the middle having a table that all tilts are a bit rare. I took several back as I don't see why I should get wet cutting tiles. ;) I'm a bit like that on things. The problem with the 1/2 table tilting is what has to be done to accurately size mitred edge cuts.

John
    -

19. davidgreek

davidgreek New Member

It's a pain for sure. Be prepared to break a few. You can pick up a tile saw at a local hardware store too. Keep in mind that you don't necessarily cut all the way through the tile.

If you score it (introduce a weak point) it will pretty much break on that line with a little pressure.

A pair of nippers wouldn't hurt to clean up the little fragments too.