Cures and Charms

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Ryluer, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Just pulling your chain (coller), :D

2. Phil the Paver

I'd believe that too if i hadn't see the dog with my own eyes, the vet even suggested it as a possible aid, I won't say cure because that I do believe isn't possible with magnets, but maybe just maybe magnets have some sort of effect on the nervous system that helps with pain relief, the dog not knowing any better, thinks this doesn't hurt anymore so springs back into life ???. Who know, but it did happen.

3. Good for you.

4. [QUOTE="Many Vets believe in the cures and charms because they know they work.
    Its not about being polite as you put it.[/QUOTE]

No they don't. And if they do, they need reporting.

5. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

No they don't. And if they do, they need reporting.[/QUOTE]

Yes they do and no they don't need reporting. You know nothing about vets. I have a lifetimes experience with them.
    You probably don't even have a dog.
    Apart from your wife. :pLOL

6. No it didn't.

You are mistaken.

Magnets don't have this effect, although many people clearly believe they do. Just like they believe wearing copper bracelets help. Which they don't.

C'mon, man - it would be GREAT if they worked! And, if they did work, it would have been very very very, very, very easy to have shown that by a very, very, very, very simple scientific experiment.

And then doctors and the NHS would be prescribing them.

If they worked.

Which they don't.

You really need to start thinking a bit about this, Phil. C'mon, man - you are not a lost cause. Pull yourself together, for heaven's sakes...

7. Yes they do and no they don't need reporting. You know nothing about vets.[/QUOTE]

I know as much about vets as I do irony.

(In any case, I spent 6 months at the Meat Research Institute at Langford, a learning centre where they also train vets. (And what a bunch of sleazy arrogant sods they were...))

But, they don't - as a rule - accept alternative medicines.

Just like medical doctors don't, as a rule. Although a few obviously will. 'Cos they're twits.

8. And if the vet I take our dawgs to breathed a mention about 'alternative' cures, magnetic collars or such like, he'd soon be walking very strangely for a couple of weeks. With his anus strongly attracted to passing metal objects.

Attached Files:

9. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

I know as much about vets as I do irony.

(In any case, I spent 6 months at the Meat Research Institute at Langford, a learning centre where they also train vets. (And what a bunch of sleazy arrogant sods they were...))

But, they don't - as a rule - accept alternative medicines.

Just like medical doctors don't, as a rule. Although a few obviously will. 'Cos they're twits.[/QUOTE]

You need to look for a new "learning centre". One called "experience" the every day experience of the real world. You don't have a clue.
    Cos you're a tw@.

10. Phil the Paver

Yes it did, it seems it has happened for lots of others as well, read the 5th post re: a horse and a vet who now prescribes magnets.

http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-health-and-nutrition/171988-ever-used-magnetic-dog-collar.html

11. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

This collar is just to heavy, why's my owner such a * 1426055126160.jpeg

Edited due to unsuitable language

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2015
  12. Et tu, Phil? :(

Happy to surf the interweb to find a person who will back up your claims?

I know it's a commonly held belief. But so is Christianity.

Please, Phil - don;t leave the land of the rational. Those of us of 'Critical Thinking'.

That's what everyone should do - think critically. Ie - both 'think' and 'be critical'.

"Now, could this be true? On the one hand we have lots of people saying it does work. On the other hand it isn't being prescribed by the NHS as a really cheap - stupidly cheap - cure. It has obviously been tested scientifically at some point - I wonder what the results were? So, what should I know decide is the more likely answer...?"

It looks as tho' we've lost you forever... :oops:

13. Phil the Paver

All what you say about it being a cheap medical cure, scientific studies to back it up, makes perfect sense, but and this is a BIG but, it did work for this dog, even you had you seen the difference in him after just a couple of days, wouldn't doubt that something strange was going on. What that was there may never be a radical explanation and that in its self would be a good enough reason for the medical profession not to recognise magnets as a wonder treatment, based purely on the facts that they don't know how they work.

14. Dear gawd, Phil...

CRITICAL THINKING!

Ok, say this dawg did feel a lot better within a couple of days - and there is every chance that it did - what are the possible reasons for this improvement?

1) A change in the weather?
    2) Dawg just having a better day - it happens to us all?
    3) Dog had a really good night's sleep - where he didn't put pressure on that joint?
    4) The dog's owners were sooo enthusiastic about the magnetic collar that their enthusiasm was detected by the dawg (and they read us better than a book...)?
    5) The magnetic collar actually worked?

Ok, critical thinking hat on - put a mark out of 10 for each of these as a likely potential explanation for the dog feeling better.

Mine would be roughly something like:

1) 5/10 (Peeps with arthritis say the weather affects their joints.)
    2) 5/10 (quite possible - I bet the dog has 'good' and 'bad' days too.)
    3) 6/10 (certainly works for me - some mornings I'm as stiff as a board, others I almost jump out of bed.)
    4) 8/10 (I think I'd have this as my most likely cause. Dogs detect every change in mood or behaviour of their owners. And DON'T FORGET, we are not talking about completely rational and/or impartial people here - we are talking about a group of suggestible and susceptible people who are actively looking for improvement.)
    5) 1/10 (I'm not ruling it out because I haven't seen or read any independent research on these devices, so I don't know for sure they don't have an effect. However, we do live in a largely rational world, especially when it comes to medical science. I have no doubt at all that if they did work, they'd be promoted by the NHS for example.)

So, what's yours?

And why?

15. barnjules

barnjules Member

Ryluer...i was going to reply to devils advocate's ridiculous and ignoant assumptions about "alternative medicine",but thought,what's the point..he's made his mind up,along with so many others that think the only way to treat an illness is with " conventional medicine". Me and my family have been using homeopathy for decades,and it works,it works really well,with no side effects. It also works very well on our animals,without treating them any differently. :)

16. Nice one, Jules - the "what's the point - he ain't listening" 'argument'.

You know, the one that sums up those with 'faith'. And nothing else. Like you.

In my post above, I hope I showed that I am not dismissing magnet effect completely out of hand, as it is a genuine physical property, so could quite possibly have a physical effect. (Tho' it almost certainly does not).

Homoeopathy, however, now that's a beaut. Complete cuckoo land stuff. Fairies, unicorns and 'magic water'. The world of crystals and pebbles and chants and prayers.

I'm now going to test you, Jules, because you've asked for it...

You say I won't change my mind? Here's the truth, sunshine - I will. If I'm given credible, impartial evidence.

Do you know what homoeopathic medicine actually is?

Read - and weep: it works on the principle that a substance that causes the symptoms of a disease in healthy people will cure similar symptoms in sick people.

For example, if an ill person has, say, coughing fits as a symptom of their disease, then you should give them a substance that would cause similar coughing to happen in a healthy person.If they have, ooh, diarrhoea, then you give them something that would cause diarrhoea in a 'well' person. If the sick person has heart palpations, you give them something that would cause palpitations in a healthy person.

Read that paragraph again. And again if needed.

This was one guy's idea around 200 years ago.

If that in itself isn't loony enough, the guy who started this - Hahnemann - found, not surprisingly that if you gave the ill person this substance in undiluted form, it made them more ill (this guy's a genius). So, he started to dilute them in distilled water. Again and again. To the point where there are usually no molecules remaining of the original substance. So he's left with - water.

But, but, but, each time you dilute the substance, you have to strike the container on a firm surface. Then - oh I really can't be ar***...

It really doesn't matter :rolleyes:

Homoeopathy has been shown again and again and again to be as daft as it clearly is. But, of course, there will always be 'believers'. Those with irrational faith.

Enjoy.

17. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

18. barnjules

barnjules Member

Howdy devils!..yep,sunshine(!),i do know a bit about how homeopathy works,and most relevant is that i know that it does indeed work! There is plenty of great literature out there that explains homeopathy a lot better than i could.,and no,I'm not qualified or articulate enough to explain it myself. Not sure what you mean when you say i have "faith"? I simply started using it a long time ago,and found it to be really effective,i mean REALLY effective. Have you ever used it yourself? What evidence do you have that it doesn't work?

19. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

See my post (just above your last post Jules) ;);););)

Click the link.