Cures and Charms

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Ryluer, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

No point in replying when you don't understand how the cure is performed.
    Black thorn pricked in the absess? What are on about?
    You haven't a clue.

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Explain then how the black thorn cure is carried out. We're all ears. (ps I promise not to giggle) ;);)

3. Hi Ryluer.

Oops, sorry - I thought that's what you'd said.

Having re-read your post, do I take it that what the patient with the stye is actually meant to do is chust look into a bush whilst the 'curer' on the other end of the phone stabs his own eye lid with a black thorn?

If so, that's a shame because I put some effort into my last post thinking I could point out the difference between two seemingly different 'alternative' cures. I may have been wasting my time. (But, hey, I do enjoy writing... :))

Can you explain the 'stye in the eye' cure, then please?

4. ...cough...

Ry?

5. Ray Retired

Ray Retired Active Member

It being St Pats day n'suspecting Ry is out hunting fer moss growing on a skull or busy running round the pig shed, I'll have a stab at curing that cough an yer thirst for knowledge DA...

"Cough" Simple as eating the top hair off a Donkey!

Trust our Irish cousins to answer the mysteries of fettling a stye with a blackthorn bush! ;)

http://www.iol.ie/~scphadr/cures.html

BTW... I can't personally confirm that putting your foot in boiling black tea will fix athletes foot, but it kinda sounds plausible. :D

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  6. Ray, you are not taking this seriously...

7. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

I've out lined briefly what the cure involves and don't know the full procedure.
    And even if I did I wouldn't post it up here to be scoffed at.

My Dad cured his skin cancer with out going to doctors. Try figuring that one out.
    He's 84 (and fit as a fiddle) and only ever been to hospital once.
    Adios.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  8. What you 'outlined briefly' seemed to involve the patient merely staring into a thorn bush, whilst the magician did the nasty bit - what a hero. Is that right?

So, Ry, how does that work?

You don't know? Fair enough. But, you ain't even curious? Wow - what a waste of an evolved brain.

And your dad cured his skin cancer without going to doctors? Ok, I will figure that one out, since you've asked.

What happened was one of the following:
    1) He didn't actually have skin cancer - it was a type of skin lesion probably caused by an infection. So his body cured it the way most people's bodies do. Or,
    2) He didn't actually have even a lesion - after all, we only have your interpretation and word for it - hardly a reliable, unbiased source. Or,
    3) He did have skin cancer and he did cure it 'himself' using alternative medicine (or it chust cured itself, as some cancers do - mind you, not very likely for skin cancer...). I'm not ruling that out, by the way, just putting it waaaay down the list of possibilities. And, if that is what actually happened, then there will be a perfectly rational explanation for it - no 'magic' involved.
    4) Something else I cannot think of.

You fear ridicule? Why? You believe this stuff, don't you? Well, man up and fight for it. I would argue it on here - if I believed it.

What is it with lily-livered folks with 'faith'? You start to challenge their belief in a fantasy or divine being (fnurr fnurr - what's so 'divine' about a genocidal maniac anyways?) and they start to whine "I am offended. Stop it - how dare you."

Well, I do dare. Why? Because I can't stand self-imposed ignorance. And fantastic ideologies that are directly harmful to other people.

As what homoeopathy and all that barlocks most certainly is.

So, find a cure for that.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2015
  9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Cure some skin cancers with vinegar. True.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Would you rant and rave like that if I met you in real life?
    No you wouldn't because I'd punch your face in.

Try finding a cure for that!

11. Yeah?

Maybe. Possibly. I dunno.

But, if it did work, it would be because of the chemical/ physiological action of the ingredients in the vinegar. And that is not beyond possibility at all.

Unless you mean you cure some skin cancers by being on the phone to a charlatan whilst he sprinkles some vinegar on his chips whilst you stare at a bottle of rancid wine?

12. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

You'd punch someones face in because they don't believe the same things as you...? Do any of your magic men have a cure for anger issues?

I don't know who I feel sorry for more, the people who reject treatment because they believe this stuff or the guys who think they can actually perform these cures, poor guy pricking his eyes with thorns all the time trying to cure someones abscess... Fair enough you believe this stuff, sorry for my ignorance on the matter but I really cannot fathom whatsoever why someone would think staring into a bush whilst a guy elsewhere ****** his own eyes will cure anything at all.

13. My 'Yeah? Maybe. Possibly. I dunno" reply was actually to Mr Ha's claim that vinegar can cure some skin cancers.

I hadn't seen your little 'threat' until now, Ry - tho' it may look as tho' I was replying to it there.

Now I will reply to your little 'threat' (which I'm pretty sure was 'banter' - even tho' you almost certainly hate my guts. Well, certainly hate my ability to drill holes through your beliefs...)

My post above was hardly a 'rant and rave', however much you'd like to pretend it was for your own benefit.

I did indeed criticise you for not being curious/interested/questioning of these cures - our phenomenal brains are capable of these things, but you'd rather it not be questioned. "I believe - that's all that matters".

Sigh.

And I will not accept homoeopathy, spiritualism, alternative medicine, astrology or religious belief as being amusing little quirks of human fallibility - they are an insult to humanity. They are directly harmful to many uncritical people who find solace in the carp spewed out by knowing charlatans (and yes - most of these people know what they are saying is barlocks).

Few are immune - from Steve Jobs to the tragic Jessica Ainscough ( http://www.theguardian.com/australi...ustralia-wellness-warrior-dies-cancer-aged-30 )

And I would have the exact same discussion with you in real life. Would you punch my face in? No - you wouldn't.

14. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

What do you mean "think" they perform these cures?
    Thousands of people have used the sty cure. They do it for the good of their health you idiot.
    I know that's not what you want to hear as it doesn't fit with you world of science.
    But hey hoo.

15. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Would you walk up to a muslim and tell him his beliefs are a fallacy?
    No you wouldn't you berk.
    What makes you think you can walk up to anyone else and insult them to their faces? And yes I'd most certainly punch your lights out.
    jihadi john would just slice off your head so knocked out for a few seconds wouldn't be too bad eh?

OOh yes of course, silly me, Christians are fare game for the secular atheist heretics but Muslims must be protected and mollycoddeled.

You English have war mongered all over the Muslim world and insulted them and now their wrath is being laid down upon you 100 fold.
    You have my sympathies.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  16. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Ry, you need to chill out man, otherwise you'll be needing the services of your witch doctor.

This Blackthorn treatment intrigued me as to how it's works, thousands you say have been cured by it, well I couldn't find a single reference to it on Google????, now gold on the other hand is a well know remedy for styes.

17. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

What a sad world you live in if google is your only reference.

18. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Well I'm sorry, but the Tories shut down my library, so Google it is, possibly the largest reference library in the world.

But why the attitude, I'm not knocking you methods nor am I praising them, I don't know, hence the looking it up.

19. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

RYLUER!!!! 1426708202636.jpeg

20. Ryluer, you are partly right.

I would not 'walk up to a muslim and say these things to their face', just as I would not walk up to you and say it either.

But, should a muslim start saying to me that allah is all wonderful and muhamed is the only prophet, etc, then - yes - I would reply in the manner I have to you on this forum.

The principle is this; everyone has a right to their own beliefs. But, actually, not everyone has a right to express them. And if they do try, then they should expect a come-back.

So, if you have twittish beliefs, then simple - keep schtum about it.

You don't think that's fair? What a surprise.

Don't forget, you are the one who came on here - a public forum of which I am a member - to tell your loony story, so I replied in kind. As is my absolute right.

Sadly, rather than rise up and try and match my arguments, you instead become a little belligerent, defensive, even a little whiny. Even pleading that it's somehow not fair.

Blimey - the courage of your convictions! Not...

And you now what, Ry? You would not 'punch my lights out' either.