padstone problems

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by howzey, Mar 19, 2015.

1. howzey

howzey New Member

We have put a pair of padstones I, though one has come loose, I think because we haven't waited 24 hours to hack out the bricks. What I need to know is - a pair of 6ft steels are going in, do we need to mortar between the steels & padstones ? There is 2 floors above, plus loft living space + roof. The house is 100urs plus old.

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Just sit the steel lintel on the padstone, you never bed them.
    And don't skimp on the size of the padstone, I always had it drummed in to me, it's length should twice the width of the lintel minimum.

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Unless you have got very lucky and both pad stones are dead level you will need to bed the lintel, if the bed is more than 10mm you should put slate in between the pad and lintel.

4. howzey

howzey New Member

Aye we got loads of half, quarts & bits of slate ready. Kiab, the padstones have had to be skimmed an inch & half, coz they would interfere with the pic rail on other side. But, I get what u mean about its length. Its 2 x I-beam steels going in. Not lintels. We Ws told to get them bolted, then told to leave em loose... Any advice there plz ?

5. howzey

howzey New Member

Phil, if the pads are level, we don't need to cement them in ?

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It shouldn't be that difficult to get two pads dead level.

I've never bedded a steel lintel (RSJ) in 30 years, only catnic & concrete lintels.

Also it's better using steel plate 4mm / 5mm or what ever thickness depending on the gap you need to pack,as shims with a RSJ than slate.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  7. howzey

howzey New Member

What's cantic ?

8. howzey

howzey New Member

Ii see what u mean, u never NEEDED to bed a steel ? Or never used them ?

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

typo.:eek:

Catnic is a steel lintel.

http://catnic.com/

10. Phil the Paver

No, if the pads are level and the steels sit still, (not wobbling) no mortar needed, but if they are not, putting a bed of mortar in place is perfectly ok.

11. Mortar only under padstone.

Slate or steel shims between pad and lintel.

12. Should the two steels be bolted together, folks?

As for whether to bed them - I've no idea, but my tuppence' worth is to say 'yes' because unless these two padstones are perfectly level and perfectly flat and the steels are perfectly straight, then at least one of the steels will be creating a pressure point on that padstone where the whole weight above will be focused.

Ok, that's only a penny's worth...

howzey likes this.
  13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Quite common to bolt two rsj's together, some building inspectors were a pain in the rearend wanting certian type of spacers between the rsj's, but it's the building regs.
    So, I would cut spacers to required length from a scaffold tube with a grinder & then slide spacers through the bolts, basically it's to stop the rsj's twisting or canting out.

14. howzey

howzey New Member

Ok thanks all for yez input. Just out of curiosity, how long is it safe to leave acros in place ?

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I always tried & leave them in for a few days,gives the mortar time to harden, even after 24 hours it's still soft enough to disloge a padstone.

16. howzey

howzey New Member

Thanks bud. Heres a few after pics.

Attached Files:

17. run away...run away...

18. howzey

howzey New Member

My boss's fone went off, when he Ws in front of me, it sounded like a acro twisting or bending... I didn't wait to see if it was or not, I just sprang out of the way ! Would have made a frog proud !!

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  19. Phil the Paver

Bit overkill on the acro's and strongboys.

20. Yeah - live dangerously. Why don't you...