Oak table

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Maattttt, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Should change the title to Joak table!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

goldenboy and wiggy like this.
  2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

He said he bought it from a local carpenter, who had obviously sussed him out.

3. Maattttt

Maattttt New Member

Soon be paying them a visit, is pine good for making a bat or would it be too light haha

goldenboy likes this.
  4. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I do actually genuinely quite like the look of it.

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I think you could just pull the wonky board off and save time making a baaattttt maaattttt

Maattttt likes this.
  6. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Gb would you still like it if you had paid oak money for it?

7. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

No probably not mate! Depending on what it cost. There is an ad around my way for a oak furniture firm where they pretend to be pirates and sell "Gold for the price of silver" Sounds like this crew are selling "Silver for the price of gold"

Maattttt likes this.
  8. Maattttt

Maattttt New Member

I thought it was nice until I realised I've been mugged off, also the two of the boards have bowed a quarter inch maybe couple mm more, it's making the plates wobble on the table, I'm all up the having something rustic but thats taking the ****!! Haha

Attached Files:

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

* awful.

Edited due to unsuitable language

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2015
  10. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

You see this sort of miss selling all the time on fleabay, gumtree and other free add sites, people selling softwood tables labeled as oak, joe public just isn't aware, it winds me right up.

If the legs where not painted and in good nick with a nice scrubbed pine top that would be worth between £80 and £140

The legs look solid enough, you could just replace the top if you get no joy from your carpenter

11. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Come on maatttt, spil the beans, how much did you pay for it?

12. Maattttt

Maattttt New Member

How much would a decent top cost just out of curiosity, don't matter as this is going back right back through the door it came out of!!!!

13. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I did a load of work for a lady once who had a "solid oak" worktop done in her kitchen by another firm. It was iroko! or maybe Eyer-oak-oh! She wouldn't accept it wasn't oak!

Maattttt likes this.
  14. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Looks like that's what's been done. Reclaimed legs with some newish pine boards on top.

As long as it wasn't sold as 'Oak Effect'!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

15. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I think it might actually be the door it came out of to be honest, It looks a little like a ledged and braced door

Maattttt likes this.
  16. Maattttt

Maattttt New Member

Great banter hahahaha

17. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Cheers mate! I wouldn't kick yourself too much over this. It happens a lot.

18. Definitely take it back do you have any paperwork to say sold as oak

19. Maattttt

Maattttt New Member

I just had a bud to calm myself down a little. Lol What would it cost to put an oak top on it and how should of the top been jointed, no paperwork and was cash. I know where he lives so I'll be getting a full refund!

20. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

I reckon a solid 2inch oak top of that size would probably be in the region of £300/£400

Best to look for an old table with a nice top.

Looking on ebay there are oak tables going from £100 to £1000

With your table you could get a planner and belt sander on it and router up the edges, it would look a lot better.

Goldenboys idea of a ledged and braced door isn't a bad idea