How much to hang a door

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by limestone, May 15, 2015.

1. limestone

limestone Member

Now, I know this isn't necessarily as simple as it sounds but roughly what is the going rate for a joiner to hang a new front door. It's to replace an existing door all the door fittings including hinges are OK so literally the new door has to have a bit cut off and be hung in the hole.

I've had a quote but not having had a door hung for about 10 years I've got no idea what's reasonable.

Thanks in advance

Limestone

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

£200 odd would be the starting point

FatHands likes this.
  3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Yup

FatHands likes this.
  4. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

The letter flap will have to be set in.

5. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

Depends on location, will intumescent strips be required ??

6. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

I wouldn't charge less than £300 for a front door, they are heavy, time consuming, and can be tricky.

7. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

£300 for a front door, what's it made of??? Must be gold if your charging that much.

8. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

9. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

Its not the doors that are made of gold, its the customers:D. Seriously though, what's all talking down the price business,we should be talking it up or we'l all end up doing these back breaking jobs for nothing!o_O

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

A front door is a days work, you won't get anything else done after doing one and you can't go home until it's done so it's whatever your day rate is.

11. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Derek.K likes this.
  12. seen it all before

Didn't mean to offend any one with my comment, but as chippie 244 says a front door is a days work, no more no less and I don't know many tradesman on any where near £300 a day. Maybe I'm living in the wrong area!!!

13. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

No offence taken, but as a self employed person, 300 isn't far off the mark for an individual job, as a one off.

14. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Be interesting to know what quote the OP has had, given the fact that he is on here asking what is reasonable. Seems that he may think that the quote is unreasonable, otherwise wouldn't be asking!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

FatHands and seen it all before like this.
  15. seen it all before

Looks like I need to move then, if I quoted near £300 for a days work which is a standard job for a joiner I'd be on the dole quicker than Usain bolt.

Gatt likes this.
  16. Gatt

Gatt Active Member

Must be London , tory prices , nice if you can get it tho .

seen it all before likes this.
  17. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

I would always set aside a day to do one, as you don't know that they might become troublesome.

Gatt likes this.
  18. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

40k a year is 170 a day. Add on a van, tools, consumables, advertising, accountant etc.. and you get to about 50k a year which is about 215 a day. Add on some VAT and thats about 260 a day.
    I'll hang a front door for £260.

Gatt likes this.
  19. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I don't ever work on day rate as its pricework all the way for me, but I would have said on average it works out somewhere between £220 and £280 a day on a longer job.

20. seen it all before

so what was the quote you had for hanging the door then?