Five tips for a stress free remodeling project

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by helgajones, Jun 3, 2015.

1. helgajones

helgajones New Member

You’ve been considering a remodeling project for quite a long time now and you’ve finally decided to take the plunge. Whatever home remodeling project you have in mind, there are a few tips you can follow to make the task as stress free as possible.

1. Choose your remodeling contractor(s) carefully

Every remodeling project is stressful, but you can lessen the stress by making sure that you hire real professionals to do the work. Don’t cut any corners when it comes to hiring a contractor or contractors for the project. Because the people you hire will be in your home for days, weeks, or even months, it’s important that you hire people you can trust and people who will listen to your concerns. Make sure when hiring contractors that they have the necessary permits, licenses, and insurance to do the work. Finally, ask around for recommendations. The best indicator of a contractor’s quality and professionalism is their reputation in the community.

2. Have a clear vision

It’s great to have an idea in your mind of what you want the finished product to look like, but you need to get that idea on paper sooner than later. Beginning any home remodeling project without a very clear goal in mind is a recipe for a disaster and is sure to add unneeded stress to the project. Sit down with the contractor and make sure you both understand the specifics of the project.

3. Hire an end-to-end remodeling company

Depending on the size and scope of the project, you may require the help of various professionals such as carpenters, electricians, plumbers, etc… Though you’re certainly welcome to seek out each type of contractor yourself, you can limit stress by hiring an end-to-end remodeling company that already has connections with the various contractors your project might require. You hire the company and they’ll make sure all the right people are there to do the work.

4. Think “value” not “cost”

Think of any remodeling project as an investment. If done right, a remodeling project pays for itself in added value to your home. Even if you’re not planning on selling your home anytime soon, a high quality remodel can benefit not just yourself but your children and grandchildren down the road. If cutting costs is first and foremost in your mind, chances are you’ll end up dissatisfied with the outcome.

5. Enjoy the process

It’s understandable that you just want your finished product as soon as possible. But remember that many remodeling projects can take quite a long time. In the early stages, your home is going to look worse rather than better. Learn to enjoy the process and keep in mind that all of the hard work is going into improving your home. The more you can sit back and learn to enjoy the transformation your home is undergoing, the less stress you will experience.

Interior Decorating and Remodeling News Brought to You by BaseBoardRadiatorCover.com

Source:
    news.hamlethub.com/ridgefield/life/47682-take-the-stress-out-of-remodeling-with-these-tips-from-clark-construction

Tags: remodeling, remodeling tips, remodeling contractor, remodeling company, remodeling projects

2. skido

skido New Member

3. skido

skido New Member

Regarding your comment value against cost. Why are you implying that if people don't pay through the nose they won't be happy ? There are plenty of builders who will if they can take as much value out of a job as possible. There are also plenty of honest decent builders who work hard to achieve value for their customers. I have just finished a single storey extension with a hipped roof built of nothing but reclaimed materials normal cost £22,000,00 it actually cost under £4,000,00 and looks absolutely fantastic, good value i would say

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Did you not want paying then, £4000.00 my botty.

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Huge, massive, steaming pile of spam.

6. Ditto.

I know my job well.

7. helgajones

helgajones New Member

Thank you for taking the time to read my article. It is very important that you hire an expert if you are planning to remodel your house. They surely know what to do on what part of your house you will begin. It is surely up to you on how you will talk to these contractors especially about your budget for the project.

8. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

That's from the USA me thinks

9. JosephNelms

JosephNelms New Member

Thank you for the useful information.

10. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

I would have thought that many know that engaging any contractor for the first time can be a rather dodgy business. Lots of legislation in several areas helps a lot but don't always result in a successful result.

I would say that if some one wants to follow the suggested route they are likely to find it more convenient to contact a true builder or at least one that has plenty of experience of doing "remodelling" work. They will know of people that can do all types of work that may be required even if it's more or less just a one man business. There is a need to see that they have successfully completed similar work elsewhere really but they wont tell anybody about their failures.

Remodelling is in quotes as my reaction is what the hell does that mean. Nothing on it's own. If some one wants ideas there are various types of arty designers about who could help ;) though in my case I tend to know what I want to do and also want some idea how that should be accomplished.

One of the big problems is cost. Unfortunately there is a tendency in many areas to vastly inflate the cost of materials and even labour rates. There is no easy solution to that. Prices can even vary just on the basis of the type of area a person lives in for no increase in the standard of work that is done.

John
    -

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Maybe, but contributing to quite old spam posts.........