Skirting board over step

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by AndrewMole123, Jun 25, 2015.

1. AndrewMole123

AndrewMole123 New Member

I am in the process of fitting skirting boards to a new build however as you enter the new room there is a 3 inch step up into the room.

If possible I would like to run skirting board at an angle to create one continuous line between the two levels. I have attached a diagram in case the above doesn't make sense.

1. is this possible?
    2. what is the method for measuring and cutting the skirting board to fit. skirting.PNG

2. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

It is possible , the moulding on the skirting would need to be mitred in so it would all fit together, eg. if you imagine that the moulding is like a dado rail going up the stairs then you would mitre it at the same points. Er not sure If I am explaining it very well:confused:. Sorry got to go to bed too tired. Yawn.

CGN likes this.
  3. big all

big all Screwfix Select

to look right the transition skirting would be at 45 with 22.5% angles on all ends
    you will of course have a triangular gap under the skirting to fill

4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Where does the 22.5 degree angle come in to the equation BA ??

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I think he means 67.5º

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. joinerjohn1

Sorry Handy, the only angle I can see in this situation (as presented bu the OP) is 45 degrees. There's simply nothing there that would involve 22.5 or even 67.5 degrees. ;);)

7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

45 would have skirting turning at 90 degrees

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Ah...penny dropped! ;)

9. big all

big all Screwfix Select

middle bit will follow the string at 45%[i know its probably 43% lol] so half the angle to give matching surfaces ;)
    as cgn has pointed out
    sorry if it wasn't clear:rolleyes:

10. joinerjohn1

Aaargh. my mistake:oops::oops::oops::oops: (basic apprentice error kicking in there) (If it's any excuse, I'd had a drink) o_Oo_O

11. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Image of 22.5 deg skirting cut, you can see the cut directions to make it easier for you.

As was said doing something with the triangular gap at the bottom will need to be considered

upload_2015-6-26_12-14-10.png

crobarcro likes this.
  12. Ashley Nicklin

Ashley Nicklin New Member

Those measurements are almost certainly inaccurate! it can be any angle! Very simply ;) depending upon the moulding get\make a piece where the width of the wood is greater it's the vertical length when angled. Place a piece of wood\Bob-line\straight edged thingie :p on the top of the bottom stair piece travelling to the top of the second upper piece. Draw a line on wall. Measure height of the centre (Width of wood needed usually about 2 1/2 times a standard piece of skirting ) Use a carpenters angle finder to get the angle. Copy onto middle section and cut. Cut out stair section -Pray :cool: Job done. For a single piece. For a two piece the picture above is fine.

13. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Also consider how you want it to look. You may want to sketch it out on the wall first. Not to over analyse it etc, but the age/style of your property may help to guide you how to make it 'look right'.

14. big all

big all Screwfix Select

we all make mistakes :rolleyes:
    god knows i make more than most
    thats the great things about good forums we know our answers will be double checked to stop mistakes getting through ;)

15. Mr. Handyandy

It's still not 22.5º.

It's 22.5º from the 90º(halfway between 90 and 45). Skirting is generally measured(for angles) from the top or bottom(180º).

The 22.5º in question is either 67.5º or 112.5º.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You can't set your mitre saw to 67.5 or 112.5, it will have a preset at 22.5 you pedantic ****.

17. Mr. Handyandy

Don't you call me a pedantic ****. I'll draw you a picture

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If the stairs were at 45, which they aren't, you would set the chop saw to 22.5.

19. Mr. Handyandy

angles.jpg

Attached Files:

20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Nice picture, and what is the opposite angle of 67.5 ie the angle you would set on your saw ie the only angle you need to worry about? You pedantic twot.