Fitting skirting on skimmed dot & dab wall

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by craigo, Jul 15, 2015.

1. craigo

craigo Member

Thanks! Sounds like solvent free grip fill is probably the way to go!

I probably have some heavy furniture to use to prop some batons against, but will probably put a few plugs and screws in the wall as well to try to help it along.

Do these screws need to go all the way into the blocks, or are plasterboard plugs going to be good enough?

Also, just looking at the reviews on screwfix - the no nonsense solvent free grab has more (and slightly higher rating) than grip fill solvent free - is this worth a go, or would you stick to branded?

2. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

the nonsense stuff is good

3. Agree with Fats.

I've used No-Nonse :)rolleyes:) solvent free and it's great to use. You'll chust have to make sure it has fully set before releasing the bracing, that's all. (Leave it overnight at least...)

Not sure what a 'plasterboard plug' is. Normal wall plugs should really be used, and - yes - this needs going fully into the wall. Make sure the holes are drilled deeper (by 5mm+) than the actual screw will go, and tap the plugs in until they are just below the brick surface.

Drill the screw clearance holes in the skirting first, trying to ensure they avoid the mortar lines. Position the skirting board perfectly, mark through your holes (or pass a small masonry drill through) to leave a positive guide in the wall, remove the skirting, drill the holes, clean them out (a large wood screw 'screwed' in will catch the dust, then pull it out. Repeat...), tap in your plugs until slightly recessed, then adhesive and screws.

Oh yeah - countersink for the screw heads.

FatHands likes this.
  4. craigo

craigo Member

I meant something like this, but you've answered that question now - they won't do - need to go into the block, cheers!

Thanks everyone for the advice, much appreciated :)

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

The foam mentioned previously isn't the typical expanding type, its designed to be a gap filling glue.

Also, your skirting should fit perfectly before fixing, unless its an unavoidable situation, in which case, you would have pre planned mechanical fixings.

Solvent free is handy sometimes and yes, has a few advantages, but doesn't have the 'grab' of solvent based adhesives.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You have 50mm of space there for adhesive. Nonails will do. Whack it on.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

craigo and CGN like this.
  7. craigo

craigo Member

Hi, me again. :oops:.

I've just bought myself a coping saw, and been trying a few practice runs at scribing on the old (pine?) skirting.

To be blunt, it looks like a dogs dinner.

This will probably open up the gates to hell...

But with the new skirting being mdf, is it really a cardinal sin to mitre the internals? I just can't see myself making a better job scribing, even with bucket loads of filler :confused:.
    I'll get my coat...

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Mitre the end, this will give you a perfect outline of the profile. Use handsaw on all straight cuts and just coping saw on curves etc. A couple of practise cuts and you'll be fine. A bit of caulk...job done :)

craigo likes this.
  9. It's skirting, not a loadbearing wall. Screw to plasterboard only, not the wall.

I agree with the comments above re adhesive. No solvent based, but push against plaster to ensure the skirting remains vertical.

10. craigo

craigo Member

Ha... I've bought plugs and 3" screws now!

I'll probably try to go through to the bricks as some of the plasterboard feels slightly loose in some places, as if a couple of dabs have done unstuck.. This should help keep the wall held down! :eek:

Had another go at scribing (tried nitrile first) - Still making a bit of a pig's ear. Maybe the mdf will be easier to work with... I hope.

I've also got some solvent free adhesive so should be able to give this a go at weekend.

Thanks again ;)

11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

If you're fixing, then just drill into brick. Make sure your skirting fits against wall properly first. Whack some no nails on it and push into place. Drill straight through skirting into the wall making sure you have enough depth. If using red plugs use 5.5 mm bit. Screw your screw a couple of turns into the plug. Push the plug/screw into the hole and carefully tap all the way through into the wall with a hammer. Tighten up screw with cordless and job done. If your putting screws in by hand, then pre drill skirting and countersink first as you won't pull the head of the screw below the surface.

12. craigo

craigo Member

Oh. Ok...

I'd planned to drill pilot holes through skirting into the wall, then remove skirting, redrill with 5.5mm, push plugs in (using a lightly inserted screw), smother back of skirting, then push and screw on (probably with cordless). Is that madness?

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Blat through the skirting and the wall with a 6mm masonry drill bit and use red plugs, use some packers if you need to.

14. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Try both ways and see how you get on. Both work and have their own merits. It's different when you're DIY'ing at home as you have more time, but I find the method I suggested easier, more accurate and quicker. Again, not that it matters in your case, but I'd have fitted 3 rooms by the time I'd done one by individually marking each hole, with no difference in quality.

15. Yes, because you may have difficulty lining the holes up again. Do as CGN says. Glue first, drill and plug after.

16. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Screwing it, you're gonna pull the bottom in and make the top stick out!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

17. If you screw in blindly using an over powerful impact driver.

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Unless you use packers.

19. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I've got a fairly low powered impact driver. It scares me unless I'm screwing wood to wood. :eek: Anything else & I go back to my drill/driver. ;)

20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I stuck a screw into the end of my finger and out through the side with mine.