Fitting skirting on skimmed dot & dab wall

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by craigo, Jul 15, 2015.

1. craigo

craigo Member

Tell me about it! I've got a plumber booked in to fit all new pipes and rads (was microbore, hate it) in first week of August, so kind of on a deadline to get the last 3 bedrooms and hallway finished by then.

In those rooms it's just mist coating the ceilings, then painting ceilings and walls ready for the plumber (didn't want to be removing radiators later if I can avoid it), and gloss on the woodwork.

Luckily the living room is the only room where the skirting needed replacing.

Seems like a 5.5 would make the right size hole in the brick, but I'd need it to be 6mm if I'm going to get the plug through the wood :rolleyes:

Ah well, what's the worst that can happen!

CGN likes this.
  2. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

It's horses for courses really. I only use the grey nylon plugs, but it depends on the screws I am using, but for a 6mm plug I use both 6 & 5,5mm, depends on the job. I agree with the previous posters,try both, whichever you are happy with. :)

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Very true...a lot of its down to technique though( without sounding patronising :)) I don't want to be changing bits too often...like I said, its me drilling ;) perhaps me bearings are a bit worn ;)

Anyway, if you're a bit pushed for time, just paint where the radiators
    are going to go and 'feather' out the painted edge. A long handled mini roller will help when you have time to get around to decorating.

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Btw, I hadn't seen your post malkie, we were both typing at same time :)

5. You simply cannot leave that tale untold... :)

6. Craigo - jeepers, man.

Cut your first skirting length.

Position it.

How well is it sitting?

Nice and flat and requiring minimum bracing to hold it snugly?

Good.

Remove, non-solvent, replace.

Brace.

Wipe away excess.

Leave.

Have a good life.

7. Cut and mitre/scribe your second piece.

Position it.

How's it sitting - nice and flat?

No?

Pants.

Why? Going in too far at the bottom so's it doesn't sit vertically? Ok, measure the gap needing packing along the bottom (bearing in mind it can vary along the length). Cut some hardboard strips. Stack them to make up that packing space. use card or other material to make up fine adjustments - or carefully slice hardboard into layers. A wee dab of non-solvent and stick them to the wall (or the back of the skirting board if you prefer) at regular intervals - say every metre or so. Hold them in place with a panel pin if needed.

Now fit the skirting. Sitting nice and snug?

Good.

Remove, LOTS of non-solvent (expec to fill them gaps), replace.

Brace, wipe and stuff.

8. craigo

craigo Member

Ha, that makes it sounds it sound so simple :)

I think I'll print out those instructions and just get on with it at the weekend!

Thanks again!

(In the meantime I'll look forward to hearing how you nearly cut off a thumb in the shower!)

9. I wouldn't do such a silly thing as cutting my thumb off anywhere.

Chippie on the other hand... :rolleyes:

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Well I had an inner ear infection and lost my balance in the shower, on my birthday, and I landed on a glass container which my wife kept her bubble bath in resulting in this.

Attached Files:

11. craigo

craigo Member

I meant "...how one could almost cut off their thumb...", but see where I went wrong there!

Either way - OWCH!! :eek:

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

On the subject of red plugs, generally I'd use a 6mm bit for hard brick, 5.5mm for soft.
    As for getting red plug through wood, tap in flush to wood with hammer first, before putting screw in and tapping into brick/block.

If you'd blobbed adhesive and levelled off, you'd have a nice straight stiff surface to glue your skirting to by now!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. craigo

craigo Member

I've come to the conclusion that the red plugs I've bought are in fact 6mm.

They are the rawlplug ones on screw fix site.

Makes sense that the 5.5mm hole is just not big enough.

Ha ha, point taken, cheers :):D

14. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

In "old money", 0,5 mm is 20/1000 th of an inch. A gnat's wotsit. Try as others have suggested. Push the plug into the hole as far as you can (it will squash down enough, trust me ;)) and then insert a screw & then tap it in with a hammer to the required depth. You will then be able to make a good, firm fixing.;)

15. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

Your not related to Mary Shelley by any chance are you Chippy? :)

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I think I had her in my youth.

17. I hope you feel bad that I've chust been seeek all over my keyboard...

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

19. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Blimey chippie that looks painful mate! Bit of time off with that ?

20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I should have been off for 3 months but I had to go back after 2 months as I had run out of money.