Wots it called

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by wiggy, Jul 17, 2015.

1. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Evening gents.

T+g cladding on a wall up to about dado rail height is called ?

2. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Wainscoting I think.:)

wiggy likes this.
  3. parahandy

parahandy Screwfix Select

I thought that was a movie :confused:

[​IMG]

Gatt and wiggy like this.
  4. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Yes, nice one lads....

5. jobo

jobo New Member

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And very nice it is, in the right place.

7. Gatt

Gatt Active Member

Bathrooms.

8. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

IMG-20141216-00746.jpg

Timeless I think rather than dated. In the right setting it is difficult to beat. Its one of my absolute favourite things to do.

Deleted member 33931, Gatt and KIAB like this.
  9. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

Cor! Thats really nice Golden, is it all jointed or Pocket holed, or what? And how long did it take?

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I didn't read Golden's reply properly,just realise that pic is his work:eek::oops:.

Darn impress with that, looks fantastic, very nice job.:)

11. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Cheers for the nice words, really does mean a great deal.

It took a long time! The floor needed stripping out and a lot of support work went in for the cast iron bath! The whole bathroom has cupboards and a big cornice etc. I reckon probably 5 weeks work in all.

Its a property that dates in places back to the 1500s so everything is a bit of a long road!

Its a moisture resistant 18mm MDF board as the backing board and then tulipwood rails and stiles fixed to it and then the moulding fitted.

I am a huge fan of pocket holes though and on various bits of the project they were used.

The customer is keen to get another much bigger bathroom done exactly the same later in the year.

Gatt likes this.
  12. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Very nice. And beats tiles.
    And sliding sash windows to compliment the look. But its good to have good access round those to facilitate cleaning.

In some olden houses built for the more wealthy in the olden days the toilet would have a separate small room on its own with a small basin.

So the bathroom would be just for bathing.
    And not stank out with a no2 by the previous user. LoL.

A bath like that is pretty costly.

13. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Thanks Ryluer, much appreciated.

The bath cost around £3k alone!

14. Lovely, Golden :)

And as you say, it's timeless.

If anyone tries, say, a Google image search for bathrooms styles, it's the panelling - even T&G - finishes that win for me hands down every time. Waaaaay nicer than tiling.

And a new lick of paint changes the effect completely - you can't do that with tiles...

On that note, did you do the painting of that panelling yourself? If so, what type and finish of paint did you use?

15. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Its certainly a "Neutral" colour. Matt finish I'd say.

16. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

17. I thought it was matt too, Ry, and have to say that is my preferred finish.

Cheers, Golden - my, even paint has become 'intelligent' these days :)

I do like these sage/moss greens, tho' it's so easy to get it wrong. Looks great in your picture, Golden, but the sample square on the website looks too bright & sickly a green to my eyes - although the same colours look good in their example rooms.

KIAB likes this.
  18. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Tulipwood is a rare species and very expensive.
    Mostly used for woodturnings to highlight the grain.

Why not use something like sapele?

19. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Tulip is widely used for quality joinery work. I only pay about 5% more for tulip than softwood. I think you must be thinking of something else. Sapele is maybe 3x or 4x the cost of tulip.