Which screw for fixing/mounting onto an MDF panel?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by TDH, Jul 24, 2015.

1. TDH

TDH New Member

I'm looking for advice on the best way to mount a towel ring onto a 25mm MDF panel. I am concerned that the MDF will be too soft to screw into and will not withstand the possible disturbance to the fitting when the towel is in use. I have looked at the Spax MDF screws but it appears that the shortest length is 40mm so they are too long but I have found a MDF-Tite Tri-Lock Screw 25mm. I have considered pre drilling a pilot hole and using short drywall course thread screws or maybe inserting a dowel first and then screwing into the wood. Any advice please as I don't want to the towel ring to fall off and leave holes in the panel. The screw/fixing cannot be longer than the 25mm depth of the panel. Thanks.

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

What's behind the panel.

3. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Can you get the towel ring lined up, pilot hole the mdf and squirt some pva inside and then use some grab adhesive for extra strength on the contact parts and use a decent quality screw to secure?

4. A 25mm thick MDF panel?

MDF ain't that soft, certainly not when you screw in to the side (as opposed to the ends).

Chust about any of our host's screws will do this - chust drill a pilot hole and screw away. It ain't gonna come back out.

(Unless you have some seriously soft MDF - LDF?!)

5. TDH

TDH New Member

A cavity in which there is a sliding door, too close to chance a protruding screw thread.

6. TDH

TDH New Member

Thanks, for clarity, it is an inside dividing wall inside which is a sliding door. I thought it best to describe as a panel as there are no batons behind to screw into, hope that makes sense. Was hoping to screw straight into the MDF but didn't want any future problems.

7. TDH

TDH New Member

Thanks, I've just experimented similar on a spare piece of 25mm MDF. I've drilled a pilot hole, used a drywall screw and glue, when it's dry I'll test it for strength.

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

When you say a "towel ring" , I assume this is just for a single towel, possibly a hand towel ? So there ain't gonna be that much weight to deal with - as opposed to a towel rail

As DA says, screwing through the face of MDF is fine, it's the edges that are problematic

Take into account the depth of the fixing plate as you want as much thread as possible into the MDF

Chipboard screws are good as they have a nice course thread, giving plenty of bite into made made materials

Shouldn't be a problem :p

9. Still confused.

How thick is the actual panel you'll be screwing in to? If it's less than, say, 12mm thick, then can you add a small timber/MDF block to the back of the panel to add some extra thickness?

12mm or thicker should be fine, tho' - provided it is MDF.

10. TDH

TDH New Member

Sorry, I meant there is a sliding door "behind" the panel/wall.

11. TDH

TDH New Member

Thanks, yes, just for a hand towel in a cloakroom which is only sees occasional use. I was just worried if people are heavy handed when using.

12. TDH

TDH New Member

Sorry for any confusion, the MDF is 25mm, it was used to replace plaster board and batons to allow space for a sliding/pocket door. No space behind for any additional timber. It seems like the consensus of opinion is screwing into side of the MDF should be ok. Just didn't want to mess up.

13. TDH

TDH New Member

Thanks.

14. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You don't really need a pilot hole either. MDF don't split like wood. But if you do, only drill a smaller pilot hole just to help the screw go in easier.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

CGN likes this.
  15. TDH

TDH New Member

I will, thanks.

16. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

And don't use a drywall screw either, they often snap off if driven into wood with no pilot hole.

17. Phil the Paver

?? Do you drill pilot holes in your drywalling then.

18. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

That's a good point Phil :) Taking a glass of vino out of the equation, I've experienced quite a few snapping off when used in place of a wood screw. Even though they are pulled tight to PB, it does yield, unlike being pulled tight to a fitting of some description. Or perhaps I'm heavy handed with the impact driver :)

19. If this is MDF of the 'normal' density (as in the stuff you buy at, say, Wickes, or the stuff kitchen units are made of), then you could well find it a struggle to screw straight in to it. Hence the suggestion of a pilot hole.

It'll also make it less likely to burst or delaminate the sheet as the screw goes through.

Once the screw is in this thickness of MDF, nothing is going to pull it out. Not even Chippie hanging on to the towel rail for balance as he, er, exits the shower...

FatHands likes this.
  20. Phil the Paver

I agree about a pilot hole MDF isn't the easiest of woods to start a screw off, I would also as mentioned above apply a large dollop of adhesive to the back side of the towel rail.