opinions

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Gatt, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Gatt

Gatt Active Member

Modern Slavery Act , I tell you, society is going backwards not forward .

2. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

"God" is a word. It is used by different people to mean different things.
    That is the reason you never get agreement about God. For some (atheists for example) it means a magical being to pour scorn upon sitting on throne (like santa claus) or hovering in some nether place, conjuring up fates and spinning impossible riddles for humans to wrestle with all their lives.

For other people (like the great Einstein) it embodies the idea of something beyond human knowledge, and also outside the realm of physics, no matter how advanced we get.
    Einstein was humble enough to acknowledge that.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  3. miss pickle

miss pickle Well-Known Member

Beats being one of those extremist cranks who go round blowing everybody up in the belief they will go to paradise :eek: how bonkers is that?

And it sounds like that great Einstein was being a bit vague :rolleyes:

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  4. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Otherwise the Universe must have created itself which I do not believe.

Who knows what intelligences millions and billions of year older than ours are capable of ?
    There might be an intelligence creating universes by the second . We will never know because we are not to meant to.
    To the ultimate intelligence we might just be like the scum round the bathtub.

Prof. Hawking's latest thinking is reputed to be that there is no need for a "god" in that given enough time the universe could have created itself. I can't get my head round this as time as we envisage it only started at the big bang which is in itself now in doubt.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  5. Amen, Chippie.

You feed the guy enough rope, and he does all the posturing that's need to prove his simple-mindedness.

It's soooo much easier when he does it for us. Saves me the hassle.

6. No is isn't.

(Your turn...)

7. Oh dear. Another bit of wishful thinking.

Very, very few actually do. And even then they would never try and use the 'god' card to explain a phenomena - or they'd be ridiculed and rejected by the rest of the scientific community.

Faaaaaar fewer scientists than the population in general are theists - for obvious reasons (they are thoughtful, clever and rely on EVIDENCE...)

8. parahandy

parahandy Screwfix Select

9. [A
    Otherwise it must have created itself? Is that the only other plausible explanation? Why not, for example, that it is endless. Goes on for infinity, in both time and distance?

Why not - that isn't any less plausible. is it? Ie - the universe just 'is' and has always been, and always will be.

Why is this naturally hard to accept? Because human brains, as it evolved, never had to face anything like considering 'forever'. It never has - for any evolutionary reason - had to tackle with that concept.

The reason why us humans find it so hard to grasp these theories and explanations is that our mind simply had no need to evolve to try and understand it. All we needed to know about time, for instance, is how to keep track of a few dozen years - crop rotation, paying back loans, considering how long we were likely to live, etc.

You can try this yourselves right now; think back to around 5 years ago. No doubt you can build up a pretty good picture of what was happening in your lives, what your children were doing, when you perhaps bought your last house.

Go back 20 years. It'll take a bit of time to work out, but good chance you can build up a decent picture there too.

50 years? Hmm, struggling to focus on actual true memories - it's more remembering stories being told about that time.

70 years? I reckon everyone on this forum is now relying on family 'history' - recalling tales from your parents.

100 years? That's all stories now, from TV documentaries, story books, history books, etc.

But, for the moment, we can almost 'sense' this time - it is almost within our own lifetimes.

200 years? Nah - we need to rely purely on history books, novels & historians now. It is virtually impossible to genuinely imagine what it must have been like in 'those' days.

1,000 years? Not a chance.

2,000? Hmm, possibly better since the Greeks and Romans did so much amazing stuff around then.

5,000? I'm lost...

1,000,000 - that figure is sooo big it doesn't really compute in my head. I cannot 'visualise' it. I'd have to do summat like draw a long line, and then mark out, say, 2,000 years a couple of mm from one end and then see how long the rest of the line is. My gawd - it's LONG!

Now when I look at that line I go "OoooOOOOooooohhhh - that's a loooooong time... :oops:)

A billion years? Get stuffed.

The brains of the likes of Einstein and Hawkings are not normal, they do not work on our level. They go waaaay beyond what is need to simply function as humans.

So, for our simple brains, it is not surprising that people believed just about anything, because they didn't have the capacity to not do.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2015
  10. But with the knowledge and reasoned arguments we have available to us these days, there is no longer any excuse.

Except small-mindedness, laziness, cowardice, and other very unpleasant things...

11. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

The existence of the human race in terms of time, is less than it took me to write this, we barely know how to write the figure that represents the existence of the know universe, let alone what's yet undiscovered.

Is there a greater figure controlling it all, who knows, but what is knows, would suggest not.

Is there life forms out there somewhere we don't know about, almost certainly, will we in our life times find it, properly not, we not intelligent enough, YET.

12. miss pickle

Pretty blinking awesome though isn't it ??? Mind blowing :D
    I mean, to think a bit of sperm (smelly sticky liquid smiley-sick006.gif ) has little tadpoles that swim away and bump into an egg and then BOOM! creates a human being!!!!!!
    That grows and grows and grows and then gets old shrinks and dies :( the end.
    I'm gonna have me some fun in the meantime though smiley-dance001.gif

13. miss pickle

Not sure I'd be much cop at sexual education mind smiley-laughing004-1.gif
    I don't mess about, my daughter is walking round with an implant at 15 :) her and her boyfriend have been inseparable for 8 months, he practically blooming lives here :rolleyes:and I'm far from naive ;) I even made her bf come with us to watch it being implanted :D he went a bit pale bless him. I'm too young to be a granny :eek: not on my watch thankyou very much :p

All those religions walking around not believing in contraception pffft errrr helloooo the planet is only SO BIG :mad:

14. parahandy

less people = less money in the plate of a Sunday.

simples.

15. miss pickle

Oh talk in blooming English para :p

What does more people equal then?

16. miss pickle

Let me guess :D MORE money on the plate? Doh :confused: sorry para ;)

17. parahandy

Erm... more money. :rolleyes:

18. miss pickle

Haha! :D Yeah I got there eventually. I'm such a twonk :(

19. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

A bigger vicarage. :)

20. miss pickle

How embarrassing :rolleyes::rolleyes: not the first time I've shown myself up in front of para o_Oo_O and I doubt it will be the last :D