Wood for shelving

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Fergus, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Fergus

Fergus New Member

Hey folks,

I want to put up 2 shelves for the kitchen, to hold heavy stuff like plates etc.

Dimensions req'd:
    L: 2.8m
    W: 33cm
    DD (thickness): 4-5cm

What wood should I be going for, and where can I pick it up?
    I can pick up reclaimed ash, cut to size, for I think £50 a pop, but presumably it would have to be treated etc... is that the best option or go for some pressure-treated blah blah wood from Screwfix/Selco/Jewson?

Thanks,

F.

2. parahandy

parahandy Screwfix Select

I always use pressure treated blah blah wood for crockery storage situations.

It's a bit more expensive but worth it for peace of mind.

3. Stop it, Para... :rolleyes:

Fergus, how important is the appearance of this shelf - I presume quite. Or even very.

So a solid plank of Ash sounds awesome.

Chust treat it with Danish Oil. (Don't use 'treated' timber - ie. stuff treated against rot - 'cos it's likely to be toxic...)

You will need mega brackets for this. I'd use 'gallows'-style brackets, and these could either be 'industrial' style like galvanised steel left natural or matt-blacked, or else made from a similar timber (ie Ash).

But, lots of options.

As long as it's strong...

4. Fergus

Fergus New Member

Thanks Devil's. :)

Yes, appearance is very important. The wife is thinking of getting a couple of scaffolding boards side by side (for a kind of cheap rustic look), but I'm not so sure.

Brackets, yeah, very big steel ones perhaps.

Had a quote from builder/handyman who said he'd get lengths of pressure-treated wood from a store such as the one named above, but I'm not sure that would look terribly nice! Just wondering what most people would go for, since I have little clue with DIY, to my dad's disappointment.

5. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Dinner plates on a plank of wood in the kitchen? Or dust collectors rather on a shelf.
    Nice if your family like dust on the menu.
    Why don't you put them in a cupboard like everyone else?

The best kitchens these days have base units with slide out drawers. Which provide easy access.

Some ideas here tho..
    http://tinyurl.com/ndwzz27

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  6. Fergus

Fergus New Member

Hey, speak to the wife... she wants rustic shelving for her special patterned plates!
    But I take your point.

7. miss pickle

miss pickle Well-Known Member

The wife is right!!!! Think rustic :) you can never go wrong with rustic :rolleyes:

8. miss pickle

You are a lucky lucky man having such a great wife! Her taste is impeccable.
    Think on :oops: she chose you too :) so I would just agree if I were you :D

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Put her off by planting half a tree trunk up there!

:eek:

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. miss pickle

In your dreams lol.

11. parahandy

parahandy Screwfix Select

Show her this, mate. No es problema.

[​IMG]

12. It's a crackin' idea, Fergie.

And if you can really get 2.8m lengths of 330 x 45 Ash for £50, bite the cove's hand off.

(Sadly, I've looked at some prices and I doubt you can...)

And I've also chust looked at the price of HD gallows brackets :eek:. They'll be as much as the beam, then... :(

So, I'm with Para on this one. Check out adverts for used scaffold boards, or visit reclamation yards/ saw mills. It doesn't matter too much what state they are in - you should be able to wire brush them, or - if really messy - simply paint them in your choice of matt paint.

For holding plates, don't forget the thin bead running along t'top near t'front to stop your wife's wonderful plates from slipping off, 'cos that would be a disaster... :rolleyes:

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Google Sagulator and it will give you shelf spans, artistic decisions are left to the wife.

14. Now why would someone with a finely-honed bod like yours be surfin' for 'sagulator' :rolleyes:

15. Actually, that 'bar moustache is drooping a bit at the ends...

16. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

If that's really you chippie you look a right oaf.

17. Ok, I'm now hiding under my chair...:oops:

18. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

How to win friends and influence people.

19. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Opening up a bag of popcorn here. Fireworks Night has come early it seems.

20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Ry thinks I look like an oaf after all he has gloated about, face, bothered.:p:p:p