Red dye on reclaimed timber

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Deacs10, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Deacs10

Deacs10 Member

Having trouble uploading from my phone. I will dig my laptop out and camera to upload it

2. miss pickle

miss pickle Well-Known Member

We are not seeing enough of you lately malkie :D I'm still riding me horse Dorset way. We lost a shoe :rolleyes:
    Be there next week ;)

3. miss pickle

You make chopping boards and you can't upload a phone :eek:
    Ok :(
    Next week then :)

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You can. Borate is a water based treatment can be used on oak. And because it is clear, can be dyed PINK to identify that it has been used!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. miss pickle

Deacs ain't colour blind bash.gif

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The only information I can find about Borate is American, it only specifies it's use on softwoods and because it is lethal to insects I wouldn't have thought it would get a license in England.

7. Mr. Handyandy

8. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

The holiday traffic should be gone next week. You can chuck horseshoes all over the A35 . you may even take out a caravan. :cool: Don't come Thursday. My daughter & I are off to the Steam Fair. :):)

KIAB and miss pickle like this.
  9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Doesn't mention hardwoods.
    I didn't make up what I said or look it up on google, I had to go to bleeding Pontefract and do a residential course and I got a certificate and everything o_Oo_O

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Great Dorset Steam Fair already, it's earlier this year.

11. Mr. Handyandy

Not saying you invented the story chippie.

Here's an extract from website 'Wood Solutions'(Australian).

Boron salts- Boron provides effective protection against attack by insect borers. It has been used in Australia for more than 40 years to protect the sapwood of susceptible hardwoods against lyctid or ‘powder post' borers.

The treatment consists of soaking freshly sawn unseasoned timber in solutions of boron salts. The salts diffuse through the timber and after treatment, the timber is allowed to dry. Boron treatments are common in timber where an appearance grading is required. It is also easy to apply even by painting on, and doesn't change the colour or appearance of the wood. However, Boron is not fixed in the timber and can be leached. This restricts boron treated timber to interior uses such as flooring or joinery that is protected from the weather both in service and during construction.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. Mr. Handyandy

The above might show how the outer of the wood (newer,softer wood)OP has is red in colour, lessening towards the heart.

Just suggesting.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. Being reclaimed from this country can't see it being treated with anything red pictures would help you sure its oak i am guessing its parana pine. Danish oil is very good food safe too

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It doesn't mention Oak only susceptible hardwood and I think you are clutching at straws again Andy :)

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I also think it's probably not oak.

caveman bulider likes this.
  16. Mr. Handyandy

Nah. I'm not arguing or trying to prove a point. Just realising that hardwoods can be treated this way.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

17. "I whittled it down I noticed the wood was lighter and oak." Didn't he say that in first post parana pine has got red in it some sell it as a hardwood

18. miss pickle

I've been to the races at pontefract. Just so you all know :)

19. Mr. Handyandy

I once had a cake.....

20. miss pickle

No :( he said oak.
    And I believed them smiley-confused013.gif coz I'd believe anything I would :D or wood :)