Which pocket hole jig to buy

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by diy_nixy, Sep 15, 2015.

1. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

Looking to buy a pocket hole jig. Find biscuit joining and clamping too slow.

Want to use it for a few DIY projects.
    1. Panelled cupboard doors (panel effect on front with beading, flush plain on the back)
    2. Making own fitted wardrobes including panel effect doors with face frames. (lots of frames to make)
    3, Making radiator cabinets.
    4. Making bath panels.

There's a few on the market. Kreg, Trend, UJK from Axminster. Not sure which one to buy?
    Trend has width adjustment so holes can be moved sideways.
    UJK has nice measurements on the side for different widths of stock (12mm, 18mm, 25mm). Looks easy to use. Demo video on Axminster.

Trend
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/trend-pocket-hole-jig/52132

Kreg
    http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/section/6543/sn/KRGK4#.VfgXWVUViko

UJK from Axminster
    http://www.axminster.co.uk/ujk-technology-pocket-hole-jig

Thanks in advance.
    (P.S Dont mention Festool Domino, nice to have but hard to justify £600 spend). Also still requires lots of clamping.

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Kreg every single time.

I use mine loads and loads for work.

Never regretted my purchase and have upgraded the kit over the years too.

If you ask me pocket hole systems are much better suited to production work than dominos. Quicker to assemble , more adaptable, more repeatable,easier and much much cheaper.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

UJK is well made, better than Kreg & Trend in my opinion.

Kreg is Glass-Reinforced Nylon Body, UJK is all metal body.

4. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

Thanks 'goldenboy'. Any suggestions where to buy.
    Amazon seems to be best price for the Kreg K4MS. Most of the accessories seem to be included to get started. (£100)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007XDHRF8/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Have you got the UKJ one Kiab? The UKJ screws are utter garbage.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

No, looked at one at Axminster a couple of weeks ago, seem well made, so which screws are actually the problem.

I have a elderly Kreg which is all metal construction, later change to glass reinforced nylon on later models.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  7. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

The Axminster screws have a horrible habit of snapping under even low torque across all the sizes. I have probably put 50k Kreg screws without a single snapped head even on oak.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Oh! the wood screws, not the screws on the UKJ jig it self:confused:, I only use Kreg screws for joining,haven't found anything better.:)

9. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

Thanks chaps for replies. Still confused which one to buy now (UJK or Kreg)?? Surprised no one mentioned Trend with their adjustable sliding pockets (distance between screws.

By the way, can you not use any brand of appropriate pocket hole screws (with a flange) regardless of jig being used? Do Kreg screws have to be used with Kreg jig and not mixed with any other brand of jig?

10. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

Also another question... Do you not get splitting as you pull in the joining piece (because the joining piece has no pilot hole)?

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Everyone who has replied is using a Kreg jig which should probably be your answer

12. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Pocket hole jiggery and joinery leaves you with horrid holes in the lumber.

13. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Oh dear oh dear. I think you must have been using your jig wrong Ryluer. The pocket holes are meant to be hidden away not on show.

I haven't used the UKJ one but Axminster introduced it when they stopped selling the Kreg gear.

I spoke to them at the time and I don't think they wanted to stop selling it.

I looked at the UKJ but my impression was basically it was a bit of a knock off of the Kreg. I wasn't over impressed with it

The important bits of the Kreg like drill guides, clamp etc are metal and the GRP bit of it hasn't ever been an issue. In fact if you make a slight error in setting and have the drill a touch too long its very forgiving as its not metal.

I can only go on my use of the Kreg. I have used it for years and years and have never regretted the purchase.

Its equally as good in the clamping station as it is when its being clamped on.

Dust extraction is excellent too.

And once you are rocking and rolling its a super fast, super strong production process. Quicker than dominos, quicker than biscuits, stronger than normal screwing. With a very neat finish unless you are Ryluer and put the holes in the face of the work.

KIAB and CGN like this.
  14. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Its probably alright for lashing up a kitchen. Doesn't have to be that particular.
    I prefer mortise and tenons meself and dovetails. And the odd nice half lap joint.

15. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Pocket hole joinery is an accepted method of cabinet construction. The OP wants advice on which system to use.

What system do you advocate then Ryluer instead? Biscuits, dominos, cam and dowel. dowelled, screwed, loose tongue. glued butt joint, dovetail, drawerlock?

Whats your favourite?

16. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

I did a nice angled tenon today on my dado machine. Very nifty. Probably the only dado machine in the UK.

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I made some cabinets a few years ago with a face frame which were pocket jointed & then attached to carcass with biscuits.
    And Norm in New Yankee Workshop uses exact same method @ 21 minutes in link below.:)

18. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

I've always thought americans are way ahead with carpentry and joinery. Most of their homes are made from lumber.

KIAB likes this.
  19. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

One tenon in a day. Sounds like its all go at the workshop. You must be rushed off your feet.

20. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Yeah it was flat out. LoL.