Fitting fire door

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by tore81, Sep 24, 2015.

1. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Yep...easy peasy :)

2. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

I like easy peasy:)

CGN likes this.
  3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Btw, I've got to fit some intumescant strips to a fire door either today or tomorrow, so I'll take a photo of the cutter in situ etc.

4. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

That be great mate. Cheers.

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

There you go :)

Attached Files:

6. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

thanks CGN easy to see with pics:)

I'm guessing you measured the centre of the door made a mark.

Then measure the bit then half it and align two marks.

Too make sure the bit rebates central on the door?? Or easy way?

7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Numerous ways...whatever works...don't over think :)

You can start at the bottom of the door, hinge side on the right and just 'kiss' the door with the cutter. Check measurements and adjust if necessary. If you're not happy, at least you won't see it as its hinge side.

Once you've set cutter, just go steady and let the cutter do the work. Useful to have a helper to keep the door steady and 'push' against you as you move around the door and stop it sliding on your trestles.

Are you fitting any particularly exotic doors? As I do mostly rental properties, flat panel FD30 doors are about £25 and 6 panel £45. That's trade...but should give you an idea of what to pay so you don't get ripped off.

8. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Good tip I like that hinge side first:)

I'm on day rate. But just want to get a few under my belt. First one always the hardest then. Hopefully have my festool Saturday.

Thanks again great info. I'll let you know how it goes.

9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Good good. Just take your time and you'll be fine. Not much different to fitting any other door really...just a bit heavier ;)

10. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Got my festool y day. Knocked up some shelves in no time at all.

It really is an awesome tool! Thanks for the info.

I didn't buy the dust extraction mind and it does kick up a lot of dust. Some guy mentioned to me attaching a dewalt planes bag. Anyone done this?

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Just bite the bullet and buy the extractor too, you won't regret it.

12. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Think i may have too chippie. I'm eating so much dust but I was enjoying myself lol.

Great bit of kit. What festool stuff have you got?

13. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Festool have just launched the CTL SYS extractor which looks fantastic and well priced at £220.

I bought a Nilfisk off Maplin for £70 which was great value but the CTL SYS is on my list.

14. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

That is a nice price:) I'll look into that Cheers! Next month it will have to be.

The Mrs will kill me

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I've just got the TS55 and the mini extractor, I used to have the jigsaw but it got nicked. Where I work a lot has lots of Festool gear as it saves so much time.

16. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

How do you get on with the Mini mate? Can you use it with and without bags? The CTL SYS looks like it can be used bagless.

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I have used it bag less but I put some muslin over the filter to protect it. What I do now is have a cloth bag which I have slit at the end and then I wrap this around a thin rod and slide a piece of slit plastic conduit over to reseal, Festool do their own version but it is mega expensive.
    All Festool extractors seem to suffer from blockages under heavy use where the hose bends through 90 degs to enter the extractor, it widens there and I think the pressure must drop, this isn't when using it with the saw or sander but on table routers etc.