Should I use Ditra Mat?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Don63, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Don63

Don63 Member

We're about to have our extension floor tiled. This is a large area of screed with wet UFH - approx. 60m2. I've had conflicting advice on whether we should have Ditra matting. The tiler we're going to use reckons it is a waste of money, but advice from elsewhere suggests otherwise.

It's not a small investment to use Ditra matting, but given the cost of the tiles/labour would be worth it if it means that the tiles won't crack.

Does anybody have a strong opinion on this?

Don

2. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Wot tiles are you putting down?

Has the ufh been tested/commissioned?

3. Don63

Don63 Member

We haven't completely decided on tiles yet although I suspect we will go with large format porcelain. It's an outside chance that we might still go with natural stone.

It's another 4 weeks before we can turn the UFH on. UFH will be commmisioned and tested before tiling commences - tiling will likely be in December depending on tiler/tiles availability etc.

4. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

With large format porcelain or natural stone it is recommended to use an decoupling membrane. Ditra/Durabase. It is a belt & braces approach.

Was it a pumped screed?

5. Don63

Don63 Member

Thanks.

No the screed was barrowed in

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:(

Shame!

Can't beat a pumped screed for uhf.:)

7. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member