Glass head board - come away from metal frame

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by SouthLondonGuy, Nov 4, 2015.

1. SouthLondonGuy

SouthLondonGuy New Member

Hi everyone - I need some help on how to reattach the glass in my bed's headboard that has become detached from its metal frame please! (see pics below)

It is a large pane of glass that is attached on the right hand side fine - I think via two metal circles (first two photos.)

The two circles on the left have become detached. Can anyone tell how they can be reattached? It is glue hat bonds the metal circle and the glass? There doesn't seem to be anything else holding it in place.

Thanks
    Rory

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG

Attached Files:

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I wouldn't know the best adhesive to use but a glazing or car windscreen (attach read view mirrors) firm would

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Many years ago I made a few glass fish tanks that were stuck together with clear silicone so cannot see why this method would not work on your bed. lay the headboard flat, apply silicone and then place glass into position let it dry for 24 hours minimum before standing upright then simply clean off any overspill with a Stanley blade.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Stixall Adhesive & Sealant is availble in clear, will stick most things.

Astramax likes this.
  5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

KIAB>>>>>Go back to bed.

KIAB likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:eek::(:confused::confused::eek:

Too early.

7. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Assuming the glass sits on a base at the bottom, the circulars things look like a clasp system; and they would be there to provide hold on the glass and keep it in position. These may be poorly made or blown due to overtightening or strain from some unexpected direction. You might solve this by undoing the clasps and drilling through and putting in some thin nut and bolts. what did you need to assemble the bed?

8. SouthLondonGuy

SouthLondonGuy New Member

Thanks all. Very helpful.

DW - Someone else assembled the bed (probably over ten years ago) so not sure how that was assembled. I guess I'll try the Stixall Adhesive & Sealant, but given the movement over the years, the glass might have shifted too far out of place to be able to be glued, and I might have to try and look at the base bit like you mention.