DeWalt - don't touch the stuff!

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by rossco_99, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Tiny01

Tiny01 Member

Never really rated the Dewalt gear tbh , always seem so heavy compared to makita / Bosch equivilant & the plastic feels brittle & that it'd snap if dropped from any height by accident

2. NailBanger

NailBanger New Member

Ever since that saw problem, I did get to try out a new Dewalt DWE402 Grinder. It was actually really good!! SOOOO much better than the old ones that kept failing!! But I still only look at Dewalt as a last option now because of the worm-drive saw problem AND the DWS780 problem. I've not re-gained much faith, I've only changed from "don't touch the stuff!!" to "if I can get away with not buying Dewalt then I will not buy Dewalt." I only bought it because it was the only one that I saw that could prevent grinding dust from getting into the motor.

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

In my opinion De Walt make very good mitre saws and routers although they inherited them when they took over Elu. Their recipricating saws aren't bad either.

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Bought a Dewalt 9" grinder once, never again, biggest piece of rubbish I've ever bought, it was even worse than a Argos one and that's saying something.
    The reason for buying one from Argos was the Dewalt letting me down and Argos being the only place open at the time.

5. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Can someone please give us a clue. Not that I am likely to use one,but WTF is a worm drive saw? o_O

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Big old hand held circular saw.

7. MR DIAZ

MR DIAZ Active Member

Dewalt have been terrible since they started production in Asia, everything we've had has broken, apart from the small ginders. Where as Hilti and blue Bosch which isn't too expensive had lasted.

8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

They're only Black & Decker after all.

KIAB and MR DIAZ like this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Dewalt is just Black & Decker in a dinner suit, was quote a used by someone some years ago.

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

To be fair my DeWalt kit has been fine and taken a lot of abuse. Other tools from Bosch, Makita, AEG, Jet etc also with no problems

However, I had Makita MLT100 had four of them none were accurate the last one started to smoulder and then and gave up and got a refund.

So I guess it depends on how lucky you are with the production batches

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I used an MLT100 for a while and it was like someone had copied a Makita.

12. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Thanks Chippie. :)

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Agree about Makita mitre saws, look at one last year, really bad finished castings, some slop on the rails, went for the Bosch GCM 8 SJ, as better finish.

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

A case of great design concept, poor production quality.

15. NailBanger

NailBanger New Member

"Worm drive saw" = [​IMG] [​IMG]For anyone who was wondering. These saws use worm gears to transfer the motor power to the blade. Makita makes a similar model but uses hypoid gears instead.

16. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

When looking at some of the US or Canada building shows, quite envious of some of their tools. Not so much for their cutting depth but more for their ability to cut through harder, thick or even wet timber. Most saws over here are designed to have a maximum cut of between 65 to 75mm which considering our most common sizes of timber most are working at their max. There exceptions like the 14inch Makita circular saw - but that looks a real monster!

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

As I remember the worm drive aren't allowed in Europe from H&S reasons but I could be wrong.

18. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Could be like the strange rule on arbour length on trade table saws to stop Dado cutters being fitted - but they are allowed on DIY ones :eek:

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Seen that Makita circular saw,it has a 16"blade, in action on a Japanese woodworking programme on Sky, old *** was a master using it.
    There use to be a 16" Skill saw available some years ago, had a 12" Hitachi circular saw many years ago & it use to scare the hell out of me everytime I used it.

20. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

Totally agree. Got some cordless DeWalt kit from about 8-10 years ago. The circular saw was useless even back then. Had a job to cut even thin sheet material. The drills were fine for their day and all still work but the 14v batteries give up the ghost real quick. All my cordless is Makita now, as are my corded circulars apart from a 25 year old Skill Saw that is still going strong.

Still use DeWalt routers (which are a decade old and so a lot closer to the Elu's they were re-badged from) and they are great bits of kit. Will be in the market for a 110v Compound Mitre Saw soon but not sure what to go with as I don't like the ergonomics of the Makita. Always loved DeWalt Mitres so will look at them first.