Wood sash windows, London.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Bro is looking to refurbish/replace 4 sash windows in his flat, and wants to keep them timber.

Any recommendations on companies in t'Smoke he should consider?

Thanks.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Look at double glazed timber sash windows.

Core Sash Windows Ltd, friend had her windows replaced about 5 years ago by them with double glazed sash windows.

EDIT: Here we go. http://www.coresashwindows.co.uk/

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

London is a big place, whereabouts is he?

4. He's in Notting Hill, W2, Chips.

KIAB - got an estimate from your recommendation - looking very promising. Thanks.

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The selection of wood used in the construction can play a huge difference in the cost of the sashes.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Very true.

The company I linked to, uses engineered timber which is far superior to ordinary timber, no knots,better stability, you can have slimmer frames due to the higher strength of engineered timber.

7. Very good point, Jit and KIAB. Thanks - will be noted.

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

A lot of joinery shops are using Accoya wood, I recently had a door made and at first the joiners were a bit skeptical being a new product, how they could guarantee 50 years. The used it for the raised moldings as it was more stable, they also used ticoaya for the panels, at first I thought they had used MDF :eek:, but then learned it was this new stuff. They left a piece outside for over 3 weeks and it remained stable and didn't swell, something you wouldn't get with MDF.

Also the ironmongery use can effect the price. Joiners will just used standard stuff, but If you are looking for really good stuff then pay the extra.

I ordered all my furniture and issued FOC.

I'm more of a person who like to keep things as original far as possible, although it may need beefing up to accept thicker glazing units

FatHands likes this.
  9. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

I recently fitted 12 replacement sliding sash windows in North London for a client. They were top notch and made in engineered timber. Very impressed. They are made Birmingham way which reduces the cost but they do a lot of work in London it seems. I was there for the survey and then arrived the day after delivery to start fitting. Can't remember the name of the company but can find out if you have an interest. They came as a recommendation from another chippy that fitted them to his North London home.

I have been fitting new sliding sash windows on a job in Cheltenham just before Christmas. They were pants by comparison. Awful in fact.

Jitender likes this.
  10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I like old sash windows. The glass used was made the old way, so it has all the imperfections than using standard float glass. Don't know how it would work using 2 panes?

Remember watching an episode of grand designs and they were using it, but cant find a supplier, I think it was about £100 a meter square.

Visited a glazing place in Loughborough, which sell Tatra glass (was going to say tantra!) Really good glass colours, but they only sell it to workshops, weren't interested in selling me any glass :(

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Jit: Look for Tatra Clear P1 also available in a laminated version, it's sometimes refered to as Restoration glass.

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Thanks K.

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

14. Yes please, Steve.

We (bro and me) are starting from basics here, so all info and avenues are welcome :)

15. Hmm, that Accoya is interesting stuff. Almost 'man-made'!

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Very similar to engineered timber, great stability, strength,etc.

17. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I think the joiners are now converted.

The only problem they had with using it they mentioned was the glue normally used didn't work, forgot what was used now.:oops:

18. Too smooth and impervious to normal wood glues?

Do they use polyurethane stuff now?

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:eek::D

You can't use a PVA glue:eek::oops: I found that out that hard way.:(

Has to be Epoxy, or PRF (Phenol-resorcinol-formaldehyde adhesives) one or two others you can use.

EDIT:They are Polyurethane (PU) & emulsion polymer isocyanate (EPI) glues, most are two part glues.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
    Jitender likes this.
  20. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

When I got the front door and frame made, I approach 3 different joiners in the area. One company was very good in communicating and promptly answered any questions, the only thing they weren't going to do was match the architraves they were going to make it up using something very different, so didn't use them.

Another joiner can out but never got back to me, in the end used a local joiners, I to cut out a section of architrave from inside a door frame :oops:, as wasn't confident they could be able to get a good match with it, the neighbors door had layers of paint so would be hard to draw around to make a template.

Was going to use a carpenter the firm used to fit the door, but ended up fitting myself.