Wood sash windows, London.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Birmingham inst too far from me, so would be good to know of the company that Steve may have.

I always try and take notice of any firms out and about, but non spring to mind as there are quite a few.

Sash windows is something that I would also consider doing in the future, now that the door is on the rest of the house looks awful.:(

A house a few doors away had a few sashes replaced a few years ago, but look very different to the original ones as they only replaced to top ones. A lot of the details are missing.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Just think that they were no routers or spindle moulders in the 1880's

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

All done by hand with moulding planes.:eek:

4. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

Byng joinery. Not 100% sure they were engineered timber now as they were all fully finished and I can't see anything on their site. Worth giving them a bell.

http://www.byngjoinery.co.uk/

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  5. Thanks, Steve - very helpful.

I'll get in touch with them once my bro can give me the window sizes.

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Remember seeing one when at school in my resistant materials lesson, they have a few sets of cutters.

If you are looking for matching architraves, then sometime the joiner can make up something similar to the cutters that they already have, if not then a new set of cutters is likely to be charged, i think one joiner wanted £300 to produce one cutter.

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Someone brought a lovely detached Victorian house nearby and replaced the windows for PVC casement style windows.

The house is in a conservation are, and would have thought that the window company, would have know better, but sometimes the homeowner not knowing. Sash windows have outlasted decades, and its important to try and keep some historic importance, as they are truly amazing and will be an inspiring source for many generations, crafted by skilled joiners of an departed era.

Historic grants are available from the council, and certain works which affect the visible appearance of the property would be included.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Houseowner saving cash, many play dumb when it comes to replacing windows, just work out the cost difference for fitting hand made timber sash windows for average house, compared to upvc windows.

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The last one I had made cost me £70 from my local timber merchant.

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Sorry should have been £250 per cutter set.

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Looks like byng joinert do sell on ebay as well.

May give them call also for some prices, may do the front top ones this year as looking to get scaffolded, it will be a complete renovation, as all the joinery inside will need redoing as well.

Also noted the sashes can operate by:

- Pre loaded spiral springs

or

- Traditional weighted sash with pulleys and nylon cords

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Pre loaded spiral springs every time.

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Contacted Byng.

The wood they use is engineered redwood, but can use hardwoods such as meranti, sapele and oak (likely to cost 20% more). They said accoya is quite expensive so don't use.

They are only manufacture and suppliers of the windows, so will have to find own fitter.

Looks like the spring loaded system uses less box section - so the will be similar as opposed to traditional weighed ones.

From inside a cord wont be visible, it will be a plastic strip. They will be cheaper than the cord, but think I would go for the traditional look.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Can't beat engineered wood, whether it's redwood,or any other type of wood used,it's far superior to ordinary wood.

15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Just contacted a few glazier, a local glazier is selling restoration glass, which is about 2mm thick, they are unable to make double glazed units from this.

Tatra glass sell P1 in single for at £87.85+Vat or to get laminated it will cost £192.50+vat, this is essentially two panes of P1 sandwiched between the laminate.think I'm going to have to start saving.

16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Found this company who make thin double glazed units, as low as 10mm (3+4+3).

Have ordered a sample, it can be supplied hand made (P1) or machine drawn which is much dearer in price.

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

My window maker uses Douglas fir and greenhouse glass is much cheaper and just as bad as restoration glass.

18. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Replacement sashes will come 35 40 and 45 thick. with new installs more like 50mm. ordinarily i get 4 6 4 dg making them 14mm thick. and cut for 10 mm either side to make the bevels and insert beadings. They go in nicely into the old boxes. I stick with 14mm as it makes ordering less prone to mistakes, but could go up in 2mm increments. it depends who you buy from but the manufacturers are triple seal. they take about a week from ordering.
    I use the same principles for doors as well.

Now and then you find a slimmer sash about 30mm. there's not much left to give you any detail on the inside, so its usually finished with flush stripwood. And no room at all for the main catch, so you have to fit screw bolts on the meeting rails.

19. Hey, DW, where are you based?

cough

Interested in quoting for this? I could send you window sizes, see what you think? (Once bro is back from walking through Greece. Man, the scenery is bludy incredible.)

20. That's a monastery up on t'hill - used to be reached only by rope and cradle, but now has a stepped tunnel going up to it.

Greece__resized.jpg