saw horses

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by floatingaround, Jan 6, 2016.

1. floatingaround

floatingaround New Member

need to buy some foldable saw horses - really solid ones, nice and stable - weight is not an issues - stability is key

which saw horses are screwfix memebers liking ?

cheers

2. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Don't laugh,but I have a pair of B&D ones bought from B&Q at 1/2 the price that Stanley ones sell at,before the take-over.Rock solid.I know that this doesn't help, but you did ask which ones members liked. I would suggest that you should look at the reviews on the SF tools site and then decide. ;)

3. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

I've always found it best to ask to borrow the customers dining room table. For ripping sheet goods.

A friend of mine has actually done this and gone though the table with his circ saw lol

nigel willson likes this.
  4. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

I have tried some of such things, notably the superjaws. But now use a pair of plastic trestles and some boards and clamps. The main reason being that if its plastic or wood, you don't ruin a good saw, should you cut into the trestle.

5. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

Dito with Malki!☺You may not believe this but I bought a pair of B&Q bog standards workmate rip offs 10 years ago with Mdf tops, the tops worked loose so screwed them back on again and araldited the screws.
    They do now need replacing as feet have worn out, etc , but not sure with what, as they're light weight, have clamping sections, easy to clamp too as well. Have looked at the plastic Keta tables but not sure.
    I do use a combination of one trestle and a Triton work stand which is v handy also.

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I just use some plastic Stanley ones bought from our hosts when on offer for £20. Do the job :)

7. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

Yeah, but how do you clamp a thin bit of wood on to those on its edge and then plane efficiently. - Impossible:rolleyes:

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

True MM...not perfect for every scenario, as they're just saw horses and not a 'work mate', but thought we were talking about horses. :)
    You can always clamp a bit of board to them to form a makeshift top and clamp to that.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

10. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

Hi, what will you be using them for anything in particular?

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Look a lot better than the tripod roller stands I have gathering dust in the corner of the workshop. Who ever said three legs are more stable than four has never tried to slide a long length of timber through a table saw with a roller tripod at either end - used to curse them when part way though cutting one would decide to topple over.

I use these now, Kiab pointed them out and a mate bought my old rubbish Stanley ones. You can clamp things down to them, feet are adjustable and clevery they have those yellow clips which allow you to mound large sheets at angle so you can rip them along the short and long edges. That with my triton superjaws are all I need when I am out and about

[​IMG]

Astramax likes this.
  12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Sospan: How do you find those Toughbuilt Trestles I suggested in a earlier thread, still haven't bought a pair myself yet.

When I saw then I really like the idea that you could use a couple of lengths of 3x2 or 4x2 in the clamps, & down drop a sheet of 18mm on top & make a nice large sturdy temporary bench.

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Really good, so solid. Easy to mount a top on a two 4x2 and with 2m board gives loads of space to work. I was outside today cutting some lap joints in short lengths of 3x2 and clamped it along the length of the trestle with an Irwin clamp - didn't move at all.

The other thing I found really useful is the adjustable legs - can set them low for painting, higher for a work bench - and then adjust them to be the same height as the table on the chop saw - perfect.

I got the c650 as the c700 was out of stock. Ordered them from your favourite supplier FFX.

Must admit it is rare to find something these days that is his is well thought out - and these are

14. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

They look really good , but are they very heavy? I have to carry stuff down the road and up four flights of stairs on some jobs so need lightweight stuff.

15. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

have you seen the 'ketter' folding work table? b&q did them for 45 quid then rebranded them with that 'macalister' brand and chucked ten quid on the price! very cheeky but anyways these things come with quick clamps that integrate with the table, buy 2 they are really good!

16. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

i have used these and they are ace, you get a massive bit of area that is well stable, not overly heavy either!

17. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

They aren't un-feasibly heavy - a lot lighter than my Triton superjaws. The attraction of these is that they are about 1m x 150mm x150mm so they are actually easier to carry than the lightweight ones. The only shame is that a pair don't clip together like my Stanley ones but a couple of bungees or nylon straps will fix it. They do have carry handles so a pair could be carried with one arm and a bag of tools in the other.

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

19. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

20. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Amazon has the "rolls royce" version with the top timber support

upload_2016-1-8_20-58-50.png