Cooker switch for shower?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by major-eyeswater, Jan 22, 2016.

1. I need to replace my 45A shower switch.
    Looking in SF I see I can get a 45A cooker switch...

Would this do?

Thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You don't say where it will be located.
    A 45A DP switch near the shower is not be permitted, has to be a 45A DP ceiling pull switch in the bathroom, outside it can be a ordinary 45A DP switch.

3. Yeah sorry for that!

It's outside the bathroom, and is a 1gang switch, would the 45A 'cooker' switch be ok?

AdamD1990 likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Yes, it's a double pole 45A switch.

5. Removed switch, and was greeted with this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, I obviously have to chop away this damaged cable, I suspect I have to chop away about a foot of cable...
    Question is - how's best to rejoin?

Help gratefully received!

6. Could anyone offer any suggestion?

Cheers

7. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Your best bet would be to move the switch further up the wall if both cables are coming down from above.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A bit of a mess, look like you need to also used a deeper back box.

9. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Yes, really need a 47mm box where 2, 6mm or 10mm cables are involved.

10. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

I would always opt for a 2 gang sized box for a switch with 10mm cable.

11. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Trying to terminate 2 x 10mm cables in a single box is the devils work. Even for a cooker feed in 6mm in a kitchen cupboard I have learned to use a twin 47mm box and a double sized 45A switch. It does wonders for your back.

Lectrician likes this.
  12. Thanks all.

Only issues is the feed comes from below and the load goes up the wall.
    The cables in the back box are melted so I imagine I need to chop away a little cable. So there may be 20cm of cable missing when chopped out, how best can I join?

13. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Is it in capping or anything, if so can you pull it back under the floor or into the loft and join a new piece on there depending on which cable is damaged.

Its for reasons like this that I always cap cables instead of just clipping and letting them get plastered over.

14. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

If you change it for a 2 gang sized box as Lec suggests you will probably have enough cable available, if the insulation is badly damaged you will then have room to sleeve the damaged parts, or even extend the wires with connector blocks as they are whithin an enclosure.