helping working out my pitch 15 degrees

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by tiler7777, Jan 26, 2016.

1. tiler7777

tiler7777 Member

Ok so the roof joists are 3.3 meters so how much higher does the front wall need to be to the back wall to achieve a 15 degree pitch roof?

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

around 850mm.

3. tiler7777

tiler7777 Member

That would mess up planning regulations as the eves need to be less than 2.5meters high. Do you think I could still use 15pitch roof tiles if the height difference is 500ml? or might this cause issues I cant see?

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If you've got tiles that need 15 degs of pitch and you only plan to give 8 degs then you are asking for trouble.

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Surely the pitch height at 3.3m length at 15º would be 550mm?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Not according to Pythagorous or I am really misunderstanding this which after my day I wouldn't rule out.

7. Mr. Handyandy

I don't know if you are or I am, but I'm thinking pent roof, not ridged.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I'm going off a right angled triangle with a hypotenuse of 3.3M and an acute angle of 15 degs.

9. Mr. Handyandy

Ah, I think I been mistaking isoceles and changing the 90 at the same time.. Fk.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I have made so many cock ups today I don't have the energy to dog you :)

11. Mr. Handyandy

'Dog me' ? Urrrgh!

12. Phil the Paver

Would that matter??? 15° is 15° what ever the roof construction/design, is it not.

13. Mr. Handyandy

Well yeah, if the roof joists are 3.3 and a pitch roof, the pitch(at ridge) will be at 1.65 centre so completely different height.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

14. Phil the Paver

????, if that was the case the joists wouldn't be 3.3 would they, as there would be two of them making up 3.3.

15. Mr. Handyandy

You're probably right. I guess there would be just a minor difference for overlaps(or no overlaps) at eaves.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

16. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Seems like most of the tile makers don't go below 15degrees. So you would effectivey be making a flat roof, using firrings.

17. tiler7777

tiler7777 Member

yes the roof will be pent does this affect it, e.g sloping from one end to the other

18. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Forticrete do one at 10, but you would be lower than that too and I believe they have a vast amount of rules about using them at 10. You may need to consider sheet material

19. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

You'd have to use the inverse tan function, which is about 860mm. As you only have one length of the triangle.

20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I know how to do trigonometry, I use it most days.