Rusty nails in planters - do I need to remove?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by LV0210, Feb 16, 2016.

1. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The feet look like scaff which would be 48mm.

2. LV0210

LV0210 Member

should I still put landscape fabric on top of the ply sheet?

There will be an edge put around the top to create a frame if that makes sense so the rusty nails will be hidden. When I saw the rusty nails I felt concerned but from everyone's replies it sounds like it is fine to leave them as they are.

3. LV0210

LV0210 Member

Thanks chippie244. I am actually going to ask Carpenter2 to remove the legs as I don't think they will be suitable considering the weight. I am going to ask him to put them on pedestals instead. Each pedestal can support, apparently, 1 ton in weight.
    http://www.buzonuk.com/productRange.php

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I'd be more inclined to use a DPM.

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The scaff could punch through the ply, especially if it rotted a bit.

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I would be inclined to use 100mm x 100mm for the feet.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

8. LV0210

LV0210 Member

sorry what is scaff?

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

scaffolding tube.

10. LV0210

LV0210 Member

Thanks Astramax for your advice. Shame it is too late to change the other things. Is the ply going to be okay with the water? I will make the holes bigger then to 50mm.

Would you suggest that they are secured to the wall that it is next to or just leave freestanding?

11. LV0210

LV0210 Member

Hi Chippie244. They are actually kitchen legs - the ones used under kitchen cabinets rather than scaffolding tubes.

Anyhow I am going to ask them to be removed as I don't think they will be strong enough. They will be replaced with pedestals.

12. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

Does that sound okay?[/QUOTE]
    That sounds ok ish, if the plastic really stays stuck to the perimeter of the holes which I doubt it will. Once that plywood gets wet it will be the week point in it as far as rot is concerned (over time)so if you had the time to paint it on the inside with something very water repellant like bitumastic paint sealing the interface between 2x2 and plywood on the base at the same time, that would be good.

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Once they are loaded up with earth they will be heavy enough and doubt they will need any securing.

14. LV0210

LV0210 Member

Thanks Mr. Moose. So paint the plywood top and bottom with bitumastic paint. Is there one that you would recommend I use?
    I presume the wood used for the carcass is fine and does not need painting.

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Buzons will make fitting easy but just chopping some 100 x 100 to length will be a whole lot cheaper.

16. LV0210

LV0210 Member

Thanks Astramax, that makes sense and would be better for my walls.

17. LV0210

LV0210 Member

The planters are on a outdoor 'roof' terrace so I am worried that the wooden legs could penetrate through the asphalt membrane from the weight.
    The pedestals I believe would be better at distributing the weight of the planters - I think but I could be wrong.

18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

A couple of good coats of a clear wood preserver may be more beneficial than a Bitumen paint for longevity.

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Cut some 18mm packers or just work out what the respective surface area is.

20. LV0210

LV0210 Member

Thanks Astramax, I was Googled Bitumen paint and not coming up ones that are suitable for wood more roofing or metal.
    I came across the Ronseal Total Wood Preserver and it says it provide waterproofing for wood. Do you know if Ronseal is a decent brand to use?