Should the UK remain as a member of the EU?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by nffc, Feb 21, 2016.

?

Should the UK remain as a member of the EU?

1. Yes

34 vote(s)
    28.1%
  2. No

83 vote(s)
    68.6%
  3. I don't know

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  4. I don't vote

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

2. nffc

nffc Active Member

How do you know this? Did you check their passports?

How many of the doctors were British? Or did this not matter?

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  3. Lib Dems, since they were the only party down in the SW with any chance of beating the Tories.

I would consider myself left-of-centre (I would usually be a Labour voter if they had any chance), but would struggle to vote Labour any more with Jezza at the helm.

Why?

4. Don't come on here asking sensible questions, now. You'll only upset them.

nffc likes this.
  5. nffc

nffc Active Member

Well I am in the SW and the LDs got smashed. Rightly so too. They could not run a bath.

No particular reason in asking.

6. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

I think the "leave" side will gain momentum now that Boris is fully on board.

7. Yep, not much sign of them left!

Mine was essentially an anti-Tory vote. Having said that, under Cameron they are not that far right of centre. He's a surprisingly moderate Tory.

Mind you, he's struggling to cage the loons... :rolleyes:

Which makes the Tory party a bit like on here :)

8. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I think DA's retired, He needs the immigrants to get jobs and pay NI and tax to pay his pension. :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

9. And that just about sums up the lack of sense in it all.

You do know why he's going the way he is, don't you?

10. Er, um...well I...um...er... :oops:

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

To be honest, if I were going to challenge for leader(PM), I would be thinking about backing the 'stay' team. So I don't buy that!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. gpierce

gpierce Active Member

Wow if only Britain could be half as prosperous or have a fraction of the influence of some of the counties on that list...

The financial argument is utterly pointless. If you want to throw around how much it works out per day to be a member, then of course it sound like a lot. It's a national budget, the numbers are always huge, but as a percentage of the total budget the government spends? The EU membership is a small amount. Add in all the work that Europe do actually do (some laws do have to be made, and people arguing for out must understand that having to negotiate our own trade agreements and police our own borders etc won't be free) and we'll save no money at all. If you think that the money we pay to Europe would make us all rich then you are clearly deluded.

Immigration? Again people have no understanding of this argument, Britain is not full, not by a long long way. Is all of our infrastructure perfect? No. But nothing ever is, and that is not the fault of Europe. And a lot of people seem to be under the illusion that if we leave Europe the government will stop immigration - which they won't. Add into that argument the fact that as a net whole, immigration brings more into this country than it takes out, and it's another misunderstood and flawed argument.

This isn't about can Britain survive if we aren't in Europe - of course we can. But will we be better off? No. At best we won't be any worse off.

But hey ho, people always like to blame all their problems on one thing that they tell themselves is the root of all problems. If we leave Europe our problems will be because of immigrants. And if we deport everyone who isn't white british, the problems will be because of the Tories. Elect Labour, and high oil prices will be the source of all problems. Life, and the world, are not that simple.

PaulBlackpool likes this.
  13. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Tell me,,, why should British Law be dictated to by Brussels? If the EU value Sovereignty so much, why do so many of their laws drafted in Brussels, affect what happens in the UK ? Why should a European Court uphold the right of foreign murderers , killers, uninsured drivers who have killed in road accidents, rapists, violent criminals etc to live and claim benefits in the UK? ( many of these sort of criminals have been sought to be deported by the UK government, only for the EU court of human rights to dismiss the deportation order (whilst paying absolutely no attention or regard to the same "Human Rights" their victims should have enjoyed)

How do you know we won't be better off? Or is this just your opinion??

14. And that is what Boris hopes people will think.

Let me explain what he's doing. And, by the way, this is almost certainly the complete truth.

Boris is essentially pro-EU. His belief is that we should be part of the EU.

This is his plan: He knows that the Tory party is strongly divided on the EU issue. He knows that if Cameron 'wins' this referendum, he will be strengthened. As will the pro-EU faction inside the party. He knows that if he simply backs the PM, he'll only be another minion amongst many in the party - there are other very strong contenders for the top job (May, Gove, Osborne, Hammond, etc. etc.)

So, what does he have to do to almost guarantee him the top job (and, let's be clear, that is ALL he wants)?

Well, he first has to make Cameron lose this referendum, and Boris' side (the 'outs') win.

But, doesn't that mean Britain will be 'out', and that's not what Boris wants?

No, because the second part of his cunning plan is to - once he's unseated the damaged Cameron and very likely become the new party leader himself ('cos he was on the 'winning' side) - is to go back to Europe and renegotiate Britain's terms.

And then he'll come back to the UK and declare "I've got faaaar more than Cameron did, so now even I'm happy to be part of the EU".

He will arrange another referendum, which he expects to say "Stay!"

So, the end result will be that Britain remains in the EU (which is what Boris wants) and Boris is leader of the Tory party and PM (which is what Boris really really really wants).

(During Cameron's speech to the HofC yesterday, he tried to counter this by saying that if Britain votes "Out" later this year, it'll be too late to turn that around later on - it'll be set in law. That was done precisely to try and scupper Boris's plan.)

That is the measure of the man, Boris. That is what he is. A conniving, slimy, manipulative, two-faced turncoat. A truly dishonourable individual. A complete 'urd. A perfect 'politician'.

Please tell me what you - honestly - think, Mr Ha.

Please. And please be honest.

15. proby

proby Active Member

Just a step back in case I missed it has anything been said by the EU that they won't trade with us if we vote to leave ? All I heard was junker saying there will be no brexit there is no plan b.

16. No. Of course the EU will still trade with us. As will other countries who currently deal with us.

As long as it makes economic sense for them to do so.

But they certainly won't do us any favours.

If an EU country has a direct alternative to Britain (sorry, I mean England, Wales and NI) with which to deal, then my bet is that'll they'll go elsewhere.

We are not going to be popular.

And rightly so.

17. Davmac

Davmac Active Member

Spot on DA. Rule Britannia.
    Sadly the Great has been missing in Britain for a wee while now.

18. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

19. Interesting? I'd call it dull, to be honest.

And you only have to look at some of the comments left by the (Daily Mail) readers to see the level at which that article (the opinion of Lawson...) is aimed.

It makes this thread seem almost rational.