Should the UK remain as a member of the EU?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by nffc, Feb 21, 2016.

?

Should the UK remain as a member of the EU?

1. Yes

34 vote(s)
    28.1%
  2. No

83 vote(s)
    68.6%
  3. I don't know

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  4. I don't vote

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Personally I don't think Boris has got it in him to be PM. I've seen him on Have I Got News For You :D, and I can tell you, he's thick as 'sticky brown stuff'(that alright with you screwfix?).

But Cameron is 'me me me me me me me me me'! Smacks of dictatorship and wanting to go it alone.
    He's almost glad that Boris and the like have chosen to vote out of EU, coz he can **** them off now, and when(if) it's a yes, Cameron will be even more victorious-like-I'm-the-man, and it pumps him up(like a high gained by dictators). Perverted sense of control, that's Cameron. Make 'em suffer, make 'em fight or die attitude. We're alright Jack(or Jack that used to be).

Anyway, we'll all be dead when it all really matters.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

2. Mr. Handyandy

**** = slaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag

As in 'slagged off'. NOT offensive. (that alright with you screwfix?)

3. Very disappointing, Mr Ha.

Basically, you got it all a*** over t**.

Boris is not stupid, not at all. That's a put-on persona to try and get out of sticky situations (like the classic Andrew Marr interview a couple of years ago) and also designed to make him look approachable and cuddly and 'one of the people'.

(It's been well reported that, after he's been through make-up prior to a TV appearance, just before going on he'll look in the mirror and deliberately ruffle his hair...)

So, he's very bright and very calculating. Not at all how he puts himself across. So that should raise concerns about his honesty and integrity right away.

Cameron? Well he's an Eton toff just like Boris. But, here's the thing - he has surprised me (and others) by
    being not far-right. I have to confess I misjudged him on 'austerity', and was expecting some serious cuts to public spending by now.

But actually he's balanced it remarkably well, claiming all the while what difficult decisions need to be made, but actually allowing a fair amount of financial 'easing' to keep things running relatively smoothly.

And, while - yes - a lot of the EU negotiations were for 'show', his purpose is sincere. And he simply has to make that all 'show' because that's what his party members - and a large amount of the electorate - require.

Cameron is worth fifty Johnsons. And this is coming from a non Tory.

4. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

All this huffing and puffing. Just vote "leave".

5. Ahhhh, seemples.

Don't think.

6. Mr. Handyandy

You've fallen completely for his(Cameron's) guff. Well and truly conned.

7. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

There's an article in the "Independent " giving 7 reasons why we should stay in the EU. One of them states that any UK citizen can move to any EU country and work there... Then it adds,,, "Provided they have a valid UK passport,, enough money to support themselves , and have comprehensive medical insurance.. Fair enough, but why are these requirements not put on immigrants to the UK from EU citizens? Bloody totally unfair. ;);)

Mike101 likes this.
  8. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Interesting question and don't know the answer, but more serious than my **** & booze comment :rolleyes:. So if we leave the EU,will my EH 111be worthless when I go on holiday to Spain? I assume that I will have to sign a form before they will put me in an ambulance,should I need one. :confused:

9. joinerjohn1

Believe me, if you go to Spain your EH 111 card is almost worthless anyway. Most hospitals deal with you through insurance... If you ain't got it, ya ain't gonna get the treatment. ;);)

10. As I said before, saying that doesn't make it true.

And in this case it definitely isn't.

I think I have a pretty good handle on Cameron. I'm not a Tory supporter by any stretch, but I'm prepared to take each person as individuals, and judge them on their performance.

And what I am saying is that Cameron is a surprisingly fair-minded person. The state of the economy and the financial situation that many of the less well off find themselves in today would have been a lot, lot worse under most other Tory party leaders.

And the poor guy has a hellish task trying to keep the constantly braying far-righters at bay.

He has to throw them the odd chewing stick just to make them feel he's 'hard on scroungers', for example.

And, I never thought I'd ever say this, I think I'm glad Ed Milli didn't get in.

And, there is no other obvious Labour party leader at the moment either, who I'd chose over Cameron.

(Sorry - I'm going to have to have a shower to wash my betrayal away... :( )

What a shame David Milliband isn't still around. I wonder...?

11. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Your squirming like an eel in a bath of salts advocate.

12. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

The Tory Party is so divided over the European question, and always has been , that if it wasn't all connected with money and vested interests it would have split into two parties decades ago. I also think that Cameron comes across as genuine over this issue. He obviously realises the implications of coming out. The Aerospace industry for example relies on our membership of the EU and it is noted that the head of BAE is supporting our continued membership.
    I am not saying that planes would cease to be built if we came out but it would sour relations between countless thousands who rely on the ease of doing business that the EU framework supplies.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  13. You wish... :rolleyes:

(And anyhoo it's "You're...")

Y'know when I say to Mr Ha that chust 'cos he says something is true doesn't actually mean it is?

Well, with you I need to go a step further - if you say it's true, it can almost certainly be dismissed as laughable and complete and utter bar.

Locks.

You loon, you. o_O

14. Don't try and come on here all even-handed and balanced, Paul. You know it'll get you into all sorts of bovver... :rolleyes:

PaulBlackpool likes this.
  15. I'm guessing - really hoping - that your two 'winks' means you do understand the difference betwixt most immigrants (going either way) and actual refugees?

Phew.

16. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

I am not bovvered for me personally as I am 70 in October (hopefully) but it concerns me for my children and grandchildren. My best mate is for coming out of Europe and I understand why he feels that way as I do the people who think that way on here. It is a very difficult issue.
    I just hope they see the bigger picture before 23rd June.
    Britain has always been a reluctant and half-hearted partner in Europe and if de Gaulle had had his way with his "Non" "Non! "Non" we would have never got in. We have always stood on the fence. We are not a "real full" member IMHO because we have not adopted the Euro as a currency.. "Thank God" I hear people saying.
    But if we had gone into the EU, and used the Euro, wholeheartedly the Euro would not have had competition from Sterling and it most likely would have done better and we would have had as much influence as Germany has , as I believe we are very similar people, having a Northern European guttural language for example. The two wars should be left in the century they belong. It is a lifetime ago.
    On the question of Great Britain this is a geographical term for which pieces of land are included not how "great" or influential we are.
    Most of the "greatness" we had was lost with the loss of the Empire following WW2 and it was really given the kiss of death by Suez.
    On the question of immigrants and refugees , the majority of the current suffering individuals predicament has been caused by unnecessary interventions into other peoples countries in the Middle East. Do you really think that people who have lived in a Mediterranean country all their life really want to come to the damp and cold UK?
    The vast majority of people in the world are good people, who either have a religion or do not. Does it really matter where they live?

Deleted member 33931 and btiw like this.
  17. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

A bit like the rubbish you have swallowed under camoron then.

18. That's me told, Wry.

Anyhoo, great post Paul.

I have to disagree with your assessment of Britain's 'greatness', tho'. We are - whether deserved or not - still regarded as a bastion of fairness, decency, good-will and democracy.

We do have a say in most matters, and usually to the good. We contribute disproportionally high amounts to aid. We intervene when we feel it's for the greater good.

We are basically pretty decent people with a very decent society. And most of the world knows this. And much of it aspires to it.

They look to us for inspiration and guidance.

(They must despair when they see the negative reactions to the EU issue amongst others...)

19. joinerjohn1

Exactly the reason the EU extract the urine at every turn DA. In the negotiations the EU have thrown Cameron a few crumbs, nothing more.. No wonder his face was a picture when he left the negotiations. ;);)

20. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

DA, while I agree to 90% of what you say about the UK, I fail to see its relevance to whether we are in or out of europe, do we suddenly become an uncaring nation without the EU.???

It's a typical Yes campaigners reaction, not actually followed up by any facts.

Give us just 3 good reasons to stay, reasons that's we can't possibly do on our own, instead of calling people Twits, Morons, etc etc.

nffc likes this.