Top Half Radiators Hot, Bottom Half warm/cool?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Chris101, Dec 1, 2013.

1. liamo23

liamo23 New Member

Ok that's interesting as I'm sure there's only one stat in relation to stove which is on one of the pipes coming from boiler. Where should second stat be situated?

2. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

On the return.

3. liamo23

liamo23 New Member

Ok so in relation to your point about cold water being sent back to boiler could that be a reason why when running water for a shower/bath the water runs cold a lot quicker then when heating water with gas option? We only get about 10 to 15 minutes of shower water mostly when heated with stove!

4. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Quite likely.

5. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    It is possible to wire it with hot water priory,
    With the hot water on gravity, a stat fitted in the return pipe from the cylinder will switch the heating pump on.
    light fire, water heats up, when return from cylinder gets to say 55c heating pump on,
    The bigger the fire the hotter the rads

Regards
    Peter

6. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Ps I have assumed and injector tee on the common return

7. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

The lo stat must be fitted on the primary return after the cylinder return. Most manufacturers recommend close to the boiler.

8. kiaora

kiaora Guest

hi
    my thinking was the low stat on the return, is not needed if the stat on the hot water return is controlling the pump?
    this will in effect give gravity hot water priority, the heating will only come on if the hot water is satisfied,

I'm open to debate on this? with the gravity return and heating return connected with an injector tee. unless you have hot return the pump cant start?

regards
    peter

9. liamo23

liamo23 New Member

That's great information lads. I need to check about injector tee and also I'm not sure if there's a second stat on the pipes. Does it matter how far stat is situated from stove. I'm told it's possible my stat set at 55c is too far from stove and it takes too long for hot water to get to stat to turn on rads?

10. kiaora

kiaora Guest

hi
    without a schematic of your system, i am assuming its piped up how i would do it.
    when you say it takes too long to turn on the heating, you need to reflect on how a solid fuel system works, its not like gas where you can just turn it off!
    it needs to be piped up in such a way the if you leave it and the fire gets really hot, the system copes ok.

the heating pump, only comes on when the system and water is hot.
    almost think of its getting rid of excess heat,
    hope that helps
    regards
    peter

11. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

How far?
    You'll get away with the stats on the first floor above the stove. The hi stat is set slightly lower.
    The gravity circuit must be thermosyphoning correctly with 28mm primaries used.

12. liamo23

liamo23 New Member

Ok thanks again. I know it's hard for you as it's something you'd need to see. I do believe I'm not getting full value of the stove with these inconsistencies. I've had a guy looking at it and he was pretty sure it is because the stat is situated on floor above and too far away and also because the the hot water is directed down/up wrong pipe at times. I think I need to see if getting work on these help.

13. kiaora

kiaora Guest

hi
    it may be the pipe work is not quite right, the pump the wrong way round?
    is the pump sending hot water from the cylinder coil round the rads?

so many things may be going on, !

without a site inspection its all just guess work !
    may be some photos ?
    and a sketch?
    regards
    peter

14. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

No, that's not a problem at all. The hi stat is only there to energise the pump in case of an over heat situation when the set temp is reached.
    The lo stat controls the pump at all other times.

15. liamo23

liamo23 New Member

Ok I'll upload photos of area where tank is as soon as I can. Yeah in regards to hot water to rads yes hot water is pump to rads but only top half of rads get hot which means the rooms don't heat much and it's like there's simply not enough power of pressure to get rads boiling. In fairness rads closer to stove get very hot and can stay hot even though these rads are further from cylinder!

16. liamo23

liamo23 New Member

image.jpg

Attached Files:

17. kiaora

kiaora Guest

hi
    is that an unvented cylinder?

its an important question!

regards
    peter

18. liamo23

liamo23 New Member

Hi

I'm not sure, how can I check that? What do I look for?

19. kiaora

kiaora Guest

hi
    after looking at the pipework, and because you don't know what an unvented cylinder is!
    you must get professional help to check this system.
    with a solid fuel boiler connected to an unvented cylinder, it is very risky situation.

also i would recommend you don't use it until its been inspected

i don't mean to scare you, but please get it checked out

regards
    peter

20. liamo23

liamo23 New Member

Ok peter, thank you.

I did have a stove repairer/ installer at house who had his plumber with him and they were looking at this. Would it not have been obvious to them when they saw it ( I'm assuming they had good knowledge ).