Door Fitting Stand

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Jitender, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

This is stand I made a few years ago using 95 x 38mm CLS. There are 2 in total and stand in opposite directions to each other.

What do other people do?

Door Stand.jpg

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

A bit of 4"x2" and a wedge, generally don't bother with anything though.

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

How about this?

Door Stand 2.jpg

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Way too complicated, a bit of 4"x2" on edge, cut a rebate into the top edge about 2" deep, one side square, one angled in plan, put the door in the rebate and tosh it tight with a finger wedge.
    Made from scraps using hand tools.
    Generally I just stand over the door and use the vice like grip of my inner thighs...

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The wedge one is quicker to make.
    Door Stand 3.jpg

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

That would take longer to make than the time it would save unless all you did were doors.
    I love a good jig but judging if it is cost effective is an art.

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Just tip the Workmate onto it's side and use it to clamp one end.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I'm going to try and make this tomorrow Door Stand 2 Revised.jpg .

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The only thing I would use a workmate for is to hold an inverted router.

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You have far too much time on your hands :):)

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I have now, being made redundant at the end of the month.

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The last time I got made redundant was the best thing that ever happened to me. It stopped me drifting along and made me concentrate on what I wanted to do.

GoodwithWood likes this.
  13. Drinking and exposing oneself on fora?

chippie244 likes this.
  14. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Must say I've got the Black and Decker Workmate, must have had it 30 years or so and its been a great use to me - diy only

Got a bench built in my garage with a mounted vice but the portability of the WorkMate is great

Have an offcut of 18mm ply with 2 spaced batons screwed to underside that I clamp in Workmate to extend table size

This is then great to sit wet tile cutter or circular saw on and makes a rock solid platform

Couple years ago was taking garden rubbish to local tip and there was a Workmate sitting there in metal skip. Looked in perfect condition so gave the supervisor a fiver and the Workmate was mine

Have fitted the odd door and can clamp the door between the 2 workmates, great for planning down and cutting hinge rebates

Probably seen more as a diy'er gadget but more than happy with mine

15. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

I also have a B+D workmate thats been used for the last 30yrs + slightly bend ( transit, mine backed into it) and had a few new tops on used for allsorts. have used it to hold doors with the aid of 2 bits of 2x1.

16. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

Used to have one of those I made as an apprentice many, many years ago. Wedge joined to the block with a length of sash cord.

Ditto, unless I'm using a hinge jig, then I pop the door into the end of a workmate (never tried it turned it on its side). As it holds the door well above knee height I find it a lot more stable than a block and wedge.

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Never thought about a bit of sash, the wedge got lost after every job, and then the block got lost and then you can't be bothered with a workmate as any tool you put on it falls off and then the catches start sticking and the feet fall off and the bits that hold the legs out break...

18. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

I must admit the only time the workmate ends up on a job is when there are lots of doors to fit. It then becomes handy to plonk a plane, router, chisels etc. on while fitting. Otherwise its a couple of saw horses and a sheet of ply.

chippie244 likes this.
  19. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Done something useful today.

Got 2 x stands made, some work left to finish off. ended up using 44 x 145mm redwood.

upload_2016-3-21_17-27-49.png

upload_2016-3-21_17-28-7.png

upload_2016-3-21_17-28-20.png

upload_2016-3-21_17-28-30.png

20. TimberTech

TimberTech Member

i have a foot operated steele stand, a proper job not home made
    acquired it years ago from a shop fitting firm had two originally but let one go to a mate, i find it really handy it tightens and holds the door tight as you lower it in and when u need to release it just use the foot release and out it comes.
    i have never seen them on sale and never seen any in use anywhere either but if i did i would buy another.
    will take a pic if anyone is interested, also trend do a handy little stand also

Andy