Decking expansion gaps

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by masonst0rm, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Yes, and....?

A common way to reduce friction is by using a lubricant, such as oil, water, or grease, which is placed between the two surfaces, often dramatically lessening the coefficient of friction.

Two flat surfaces, separated but a layer of water ---- reduces friction.

Thankyou for confirming it.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

2. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Softwood castellated /grooved decking is manufactured to have this decorative face showing the "smooth" face is normally rough as a badgers. Its a purely decorative thing.

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I'm sorry Handy, you are perfectly correct. I and the rest of the world have got it wrong.
    The smaller contact between surface areas results in a vast increase in friction.
    What can I say, I can apologise not only on my behalf but on behalf of Newton, Einstein and all the physisists working in this field who have got it so wrong :)

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Only in England, the manufacturers only care about what sells, not what works.

5. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

That's where I live. Decking looks nice, that's its main purpose. Yeah it provides a hard standing but it looks good. Putting the grooves down may act as a capillary groove to shed water underneath the board but that's not the reason for machining the grooves. One either side would do not several.
    If you want smooth decking buy the smooth stuff.

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Are you a decking manufacturer?

7. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Yes.
    Nar not really. The grooves don't increase grip, don't drain water and don't increase aeration under the deck (if put upside down). The grooves look good that's all. That's if one thinks they look good?

chippie244 likes this.
  8. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

They are also good for creating debates as to why they are there. eg two families meet one bank holiday and have a bbq on the nice new deck. a debate turns into an argument and someone has to go to hospital with a blazing kebab skewer stuck in their head. then the whole deck is deconstructed and flooded with ready mix. peace is restored at last.

longboat likes this.
  9. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

As much as I love timber give me block paving over decking any day of the week. Harder wearing, little maintenance and doesn't look **** within 2 years unless meticulously maintained.

My take on grooved decking is this: the grooves increase the surface area of the wood therefore this gives an increased (and within the grooves) protected area for mildew or algae to form. Also the grooves hold water more efficiently and soil/debris etc. aiding mildew/algae growth. All told this will reduce the lifespan on the deck.

As far as grip is concerned you only have to look at formula 1 tyres to know that surface area is king when it comes to grip.

As long as there is sufficient fall to allow the water to run off then non-grooved timber should provide more grip. I don't know which would fare better under icy conditions but I wouldn't want to walk on either in sub zero temperatures to be honest as, without treatment, I've a feeling both would see my on my a*se pretty quickly.

longboat likes this.
  10. Mr. Handyandy

All I can say to that is, try sliding along decking when it is slimy or icy.
    Whooosh.
    Try sliding ACROSS the grooves.
    NOT whooosh!

And grooves in tyres keep the water off the tread to provide grip.
    The grooves in decking keep the water OFF the tread area to provide grip.

Staring you in the face, it is. Patently obvious.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  11. Mr. Handyandy

We've done that one. Large area F1 tyres are soft and hot. That'll grip most surfaces(without water).
    Introduce water and you get treaded tyres, do you not?

Decking and boots are nethier as soft or hot.

Grooved decking. Treaded boots. Treaded boots, I ask you?
    What's that all about?

Who in their right mind would put tread on boots to help with grip?

Surely, flat bottomed boots would be much grippier?

Pathetic reasoning chaps.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I don't care. Most people want it laid grooves up. You pays ya money and...

13. Mr. Handyandy

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Only an idiot would use decking when it's wet. ""Oh hi Handy what are doing in this rain storm? " "Just sliding around" :p

15. parahandy

parahandy Screwfix Select

My deck is fine when wet.

Maybe 'coz I installed it the right way up. ;)

16. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

My deck is overshadowed by a large oak and I get all manner of crud falling on it depending on the time of year, and it can get slippery.
    I laid the decking smooth side up so I just wet the deck down, squirt a bit of fairy liquid on it and give it a quick going over with mop/soft broom and hose off.

17. Mr. Handyandy

Oh, right. Can't get out the back garden for 8 months of the year then. Fool.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I can, I don't have decking.

Phil the Paver likes this.
  19. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

I do, I have decking.
    I'm quick on me feet, the mother in law is not. Ha ha rub hands together .
    Great stuff decking!

20. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Joe95 you just had to rattle the cage

longboat and Joe95 like this.