Stud wall on laminate floor

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by kiaora, Apr 22, 2016.

1. kiaora

kiaora Guest

hi
    I plan to build a partition wall across a laminate floor.

I'm aware it's a floating floor, my plan is, cut out 50mm hole saw, say 500mm centres, fix 12mm stud with washers to allow floor plate to be fitted just above the floor,
    I will keep the cut outs inside the new wall, so I can reinstate floor in future if needed.

Any body have any views on my plan?

The wall and door will be a total 3.00 m. With noggins in the ceiling to fix the top plate?

Regards
    Peter

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I did this last year Peter, although it was with the intention that the stud work could be 'temporary' (won't bother going into detail why) and if removed, the flooring might still be ok.
    Anyway, I just placed the sole plate on a few dobs of silicon and made sure that the rest of the stud work was a good tight fit and just screwd the top and sides. Solid as a rock, and no problems with the laminate.

If you're making it permanent, then I would cut out a complete strip for the sole plate to rest on the floor.

wiggy likes this.
  3. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Laminate moves so little I wouldn't bother cutting out discs, I would just plonk it straight on top, stick a fixing either side of the door and run a bed of silicone along the rest of it,
    the sole plate will be fixed to the stud running up the wall either side
    and either side of the door,
    so you will still have movement from the door to the wall. (not that you really need it over that length, max 2m if the door is to one side, or 1m if the doors in the middle

I think that makes sense, its early

4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p If only. ;);)

5. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Come on then JJ lets turn this in to an argument like every other post on here.
    So how much do you really think a 3m run of laminate flooring (printed mdf) will move.
    As cgn says, best practice to cut out the strip, but it won't make a jot of difference over that distance

6. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Presumably we can forget about the 10mm expansion gap, and all stand back and watch the wall waggle from left to right when temperature and moisture conditions change?

7. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    The boards a laid short way round, room is 7m long, x 3m
    I have come across bowed floors, when they're in a 'long' room

Where the boards have expanded in the 7m direction.

I'm not too concerned with expansion on a single board, but over 7m it could lift the floor?

Regards
    Peter

8. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

getting more of an idea of your overall layout. so the wall will sit in line with the laminate, which might open up during contraction or buckle the flooring during expansion.

and with the ceiling joists; of which you may have to undo the ceiling to get a good fix. Which can work, but may not be easy to undo should you so wish later. you will need to see otherwise you might just send a large screw into the wire and/or pipe above.

more so the be sure the wall sits right when fixed and in so doing determines where you cut your laminate.

9. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Yes you can over 3m, the only significant movement you would get on that would be if the floor flooded and as its mdf it would be ruined anyway.
    If the op has the door in the middle and fixes either side of the door frame, he will have 1m or so of flooring each side, or he hangs the door to one side and has 2m, now what do you think would be the maximum amount each board of mdf would expand .1 of a mm .2 of a mm.

Just because you read it on the back of a generic instruction sheet or one of wickes very own how to sheets doesn't make it so.

If it was solid wood that would be a different story, but laminate never.

10. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Thats why boards should be laid the length of a room, wood expands across the grain, and minimal if anything down the grain

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's laminate

12. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

I fitted the stuff in my first house years ago, thought, its only a small room about 3 x 5m didn't like the scotia trim so just butted it up to the skirting.
    After a month or so there was a 5mm gap around the top of the boards where the laminate had expanded forcing the bottom in and the top out. Looked awful.
    Lesson learned. The hard way.:(

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  13. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Where does it say that chip

14. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Will be fine. If permanent, just chop it out with a multi tool. The example I gave has been up for about a year with no problems. :)

wiggy likes this.
  15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Second line of the original post, right after "Hi" :p:p

16. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Might even find it in the thread title!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

There is that. :eek::eek:

18. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

I was responding to this in that post, with regards to which way to lay the boards.
    In the op the op doesn't indicate which way the boards run, now stop trying to be smart chip pie this is getting confusing enough as it is, with your side kick ha, when did you two kiss and make up, did andy bow down to smooth side up

19. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

HAHAHA OOPS, I thought it was another poster, I apologies chip pie